Preamp ideas for F5

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I see that the source of the bottom BS is grounded, so how does the 12K resistors affect bias
Here you are talking sch from post #206. BS170 is a small enhanced mode MOSFET and R8/R4 voltage divider sets the Vgs of Q2 i.e. the Id of Q2. The second voltage divider R8/R10 is a feedback loop that sets the gain ratio and puts the Q2 in "Schade"/triode mode. So, the R8 has double duty.

Your question from post #214 (about sch. in post #53) mentions the 100k resistor. Yet, that sch. contains no 100k resistor...

Also you mention 1014D SRPP which is JFET and can not substitute BS170 (which is enhanced mode MOSFET).

In post #216 you talk again about sch. from post #206 and 100k resistor - it doesn't set the Zin, it's there just to provide discharge of the coupling cap. The Zin is set by R10 (because of specific feedback loop).

In post #220 you raise again the sch. from post #53 and cascoded buffer, and yes, when the Gate and the Source of the JFET are at same potential (Vgs=0) the Id=Idss, which is not the case in either sch. since the Id of the preamp (sch. #53) is less than Idss (set by P1 for both JFETs) and the Id of cascoded buffer if also less than Idss (also set by pot).

I hope this answers your questions. If not, rephrase them and ask again (but with more clarity and exact references).

All in all, I declare you a sole champion of MQ (messy questions) ! :rofl:

Last edited:
I would like to thank everyone who has helped me get to this point. It is only because of their generous contribution that I am able to accept this award. :D You think it is bad on your end, imagine what is happening in my head. I personally think I deserve an award for powers of observation as well. (BS170 Enhancement mode...DUH!) NO worries anymore, Ill just let you know how they sound!

Last edited:
2SK170 LTP and CCS

Hello,

I was wondering if modifying the schematic from post #29 to use 2SK170 for both the LTP and the CCS would be a good idea.
It seems to work on LTSpice as far as I understand what I am simulating but I would like to know your thought about it.

Thanks for helping another newbie;)

Greg.

Here is what I am thinking about :

pre1.jpg

Feel free to comment.
Thx

Last edited:
Zgregz, if you want to keep those resistor values you'll have to use 2 paralleled JFETs in CCS (J3) to produce 20mA. J1 and J2 should have Idss of about 12mA each and J3a and J3b should have Idss=10mA each.
Some JFETs are made symmetric but still I'd put Gate and Source (not the Drain) together on the -U rail.
Watch the Pd of J3a and J3b (18V x 10mA = 180mW). I'd use a 680R resistor in the Drain (upper) branch to lower the dissipation.
Anyway, the CCS from post #29 will work better than 2 paralleled JFETs....

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Zgregz, if you want to keep those resistor values you'll have to use 2 paralleled JFETs in CCS (J3) to produce 20mA. J1 and J2 should have Idss of about 12mA each and J3a and J3b should have Idss=10mA each.
Some JFETs are made symmetric but still I'd put Gate and Source (not the Drain) together on the -U rail.
Watch the Pd of J3a and J3b (18V x 10mA = 180mW). I'd use a 680R resistor in the Drain (upper) branch to lower the dissipation.
Anyway, the CCS from post #29 will work better than 2 paralleled JFETs....

Thanks Juma!
I didn't think about power dissipation!

It may be a better idea for a newbie like me to use the CCS from post #29.

I have a bunch of 2SK170BL and some ZTX, but no BD139, is there a suitable alternative to the BD139 in the CCS? I have some D44h11, can I use these instead of the BD139?

Thanks again,
Greg.

hi all,
thanks for info, so i can not use them for stereo unbalanced. ok got it.

basically i really wish to hear the balanced audio system, with aleph 30, aleph p1.7, and a biwire spk, but i can not found a balanced cdplayer (or at least the way to tweak my cdplayer becoming balanced).

so i decide to use unbalanced, because there is no point to be balanced without all system balanced, am i right?

anyway:
how about to wire the input with RCA (- to gnd), and the output with XLR.
so, preamp to cdplayer (RCA), preamp to poweramp (XLR).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.