• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Pre-amp for Tube Sound

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
As there's no truth in audio, making assumptions based on a graphic does not say much.
So, what's the info in post #15?
- does it show the SE at clipping level ?
- what's the story about masking of higher uneven harmonics ?
- is this harmonic content identical for all SE tube amps ? Many of us try keeping harmonics (esp. 2H) down by cancellation through driver choice.
- What about the effects of feedback on the harmonic content?

disco, I'll simplify things for you.
Sorry, there's no tube sound.
That's incorrect. Try SET amp vs PP amp.

As there's no truth in audio, making assumptions based on a graphic does not say much.
If you understand what to look at and have experiences with how they correlate to audible sound, you wouldn't be saying that.

So, what's the info in post #15?
The fact that you had to ask about this confirms what I suspected.
See below.

- does it show the SE at clipping level ?
- what's the story about masking of higher uneven harmonics ?
- is this harmonic content identical for all SE tube amps ? Many of us try keeping harmonics (esp. 2H) down by cancellation through driver choice.
- What about the effects of feedback on the harmonic content?
Post #10 and click on this --> Tube sound - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The difference is subtle but it's there.

Thank you, clear.

Why I object against the name "tube sound" is because it suggests a relation between the principal components of an amplifier (being tubes) and the existance of an audiable distortion. It's possible (and a goal to many) to make neutral sounding tube amplifiers. So, the term "tube sound" might be appropriate for your (grand-) fathers AM radio receiver suffering from limited bandwith, power sag, intermodulation distortion and the lot but is a degrading name for someones work of merit.

A graphic reproduction of distortion figures is worthless without information about the conditions under which they were derived as it would be open for several readings. Personally I want 3H down to at least 50-60dB and higher uneven possibly to -100 dB. If that would take 18 dB of global feedback and an extra voltage amplifier, so be it. On the other hand (listening for irregularties) on a 4W SE I can tolerate for a -35 dB 2H at clipping levels. No problem as it would come up once every many minutes on my 98 dB loudspeakers. Not as problematic as a too slow slew rate or blocking coupling capacitors. :h_ache:

Why I object against the name "tube sound" is because it suggests a relation between the principal components of an amplifier (being tubes) and the existance of an audiable distortion. It's possible (and a goal to many) to make neutral sounding tube amplifiers. So, the term "tube sound" might be appropriate for your (grand-) fathers AM radio receiver suffering from limited bandwith, power sag, intermodulation distortion and the lot but is a degrading name for someones work of merit.
SET and PP amp have audible sound characteristics due to no feedback vs feedback design.

A graphic reproduction of distortion figures is worthless without information about the conditions under which they were derived as it would be open for several readings.
Please reread post #15. They were all 1 W output.

Personally I want 3H down to at least 50-60dB and higher uneven possibly to -100 dB.
I wasn't talking about someone's personal preference.

If that would take 18 dB of global feedback and an extra voltage amplifier, so be it. On the other hand (listening for irregularties) on a 4W SE I can tolerate for a -35 dB 2H at clipping levels. No problem as it would come up once every many minutes on my 98 dB loudspeakers. Not as problematic as a too slow slew rate or blocking coupling capacitors. :h_ache:
I was talking about SET amp. It's doesn't use "global feedback".

Hi, just a quick reply to clear up the air.

Wish you had stated the power output in your post, ruling out that the smallest amp was at clipping level for instance... you're familiar with the fact distortion relates to output power I presume.

I've built since 2002 over two dozen power and pre amplifiers with tubes, from OTL SE to PP. Among them are four SE with overall voltage feedback, I'm sure I'm not the only one here.
To my experience (I've built four EL84 PP, one 6L6 and two KT88 PP) the trade off for PP is in the phase splitter suffering from tube aging and other nasty things happening at higher levels. But heh, I'm not a pro -feeding my tube babies through candy laces- but who is?

Wish you had stated the power output in your post, ruling out that the smallest amp was at clipping level for instance... you're familiar with the fact distortion relates to output power I presume.
If you are familiar with amp measurements and their sound, this much explanation from me wouldn't have been needed.

I've built since 2002 over two dozen power and pre amplifiers with tubes, from OTL SE to PP. Among them are four SE with overall voltage feedback, I'm sure I'm not the only one here.
To my experience (I've built four EL84 PP, one 6L6 and two KT88 PP) the trade off for PP is in the phase splitter suffering from tube aging and other nasty things happening at higher levels. But heh, I'm not a pro -feeding my tube babies through candy laces- but who is?
Now that bunch of things have been clarified for you, would you rephrase your statement about "no tube sound"?

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2011
Hello JAZ,

I am now in ShenZhen, China.

My chart was drown by MS EXCEL using special MACRO
which I obtained from a somebody's Web site (forgotten URL).

THD itself was obtained by TINA-TI circuit simulator.

No wonder it looks good! It must have been quite a bit of work to capture all that data and plot them... Anyway, if you are ever in Shanghai, please let me know, we can meet up.

Jaz

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2011
I have discovered the Web which describes THD curve and be able to
download EXCEL MACRO as follows (sorry written in Japanese).

˜c—¦“Á�«ƒOƒ‰ƒt‚ð•`‚¢‚Ă݂悤

http://park21.wakwak.com/~eyp/jk1eyp/amp/measure/hizumi/pic/distortiongraph.xls

Ayumi answered my question on his BBS, so I can try running the program in R. I will also check out the software link that you provided, it looks good for making actual test and measurement, so will complement pctube's calculated results.

Jaz

Last edited:
I built something like this before, but not like that.

I built my tube pre stage B+ 250V then class D stages 3.3Vdc (V analog) and another separate 3.3V (V digital) and then my power @12V

analog and digital grounds on my class D chip isolated.

I don't think your gonna get good results with a single power supply.

I also think your B+ on the pre is too low to really capture the tube's "personality". IMHO.

Also the support parts and their construction directly effect the pre. Just because it "simulates" means it works like that with low quality or certain types of parts (like carbon comp vs. metal film, vs. non-inductive wirewound. ect. or electrolytic vs. poly vs. PFTE vs PIO caps...ect)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.