Pragmatic Full Range

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
You've seen the HT appendix for the miniTower?

1st suggestion would be a double high wall-mounted centre. Dimensions can be adjusted to get the height under 11".

End result would give a driver config something along the lines of this EL70 x 2 ML-Voigt Centre that i am currently working on to mate up with bipole Mets.

dave

Attachments

• MLV-centre-3D.gif
    MLV-centre-3D.gif
    40.3 KB · Views: 352
If youre listening to some acid beats you want a driver which handles bass

At the risk of further complicating what appears to be morphing into a multi-channel HT rig, powered woofer(s) to relieve the heavy lifting from smallish full rangers is hardly ever a bad thing.

No matter what can be said about the questionable sonics of lower end models, one of the great advantages of current HT receivers is the flexibility of bass management they allow.

At the risk of further complicating what appears to be morphing into a multi-channel HT rig, powered woofer(s) to relieve the heavy lifting from smallish full rangers is hardly ever a bad thing.

No matter what can be said about the questionable sonics of lower end models, one of the great advantages of current HT receivers is the flexibility of bass management they allow.

Well Chris, I tested briefly the unfinished microtowers at my Dad's place and we (he) liked what we heard so much :drool: that he wants them in his HT setup... And he has a nice Pioneer 1019 Amp (120 watts/ch) that can manage each channel independently. We plan to had a subwoofer soon, so if I put a filter at 50 or 100 Hz for the microtowers, does this prevent 100% overpowering them at high volume? :film: :bomb:

You've seen the HT appendix for the miniTower?

1st suggestion would be a double high wall-mounted centre. Dimensions can be adjusted to get the height under 11".

dave

Thank you Dave, I found the appendix. I would put the 2 CHR on the same front panel, widening it to 11" so the two CHRs would barely fit one on top of the other. Is the distance between them important?

JES

Well Chris, I tested briefly the unfinished microtowers at my Dad's place and we (he) liked what we heard so much :drool: that he wants them in his HT setup... And he has a nice Pioneer 1019 Amp (120 watts/ch) that can manage each channel independently. We plan to had a subwoofer soon, so if I put a filter at 50 or 100 Hz for the microtowers, does this prevent 100% overpowering them at high volume? :film: :bomb:

JES

Depending on room size, etc., you'd probably want to XO a single* sub around 80HZ or so. If the bass management is not that flexible and you want the widest safety margin, I'd be inclined to select 100Hz - but 100% protection can never be assured.

*Highly recommended reading, including some very cogent and well researched reasons to consider multiple subs:

Sound Reproduction: Loudspeakers And Rooms By Floyd Tool Loudspeakers, Rooms, and Books Aren't Perfect Review By Howard W. Ferstler Boston Audio Society Speaker Volume 31 No. 1

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
That is sufficient volume.

Sometimes one up and one forward works. We really like what the recent Castle build we did worked (named after the Castles that they imitate) and in their day, Linn Isobariks were quite impressive.

My 1st experience with this arrangement was a set of EPI 250(?) in the early 70s.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.