PPI Art 600 R121 ..... what ohm is it????

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Replacing it eliminated both my pop and the overheating. Worked fine for a minute but just shut off with a hissing noise so gotta open it back up and see.

Something in the amp at the power supply is now shrilling at me (hissing scratching sound at the components). and it is not making music anymore from either channel. It idled fine for about a minute then this. UHG......

I guess the power supply is being drawn on heavily so it is shrilling. I'm about over this amp. Only thing I noticed were the ceramic cards were the only things warm in the amp when it started shrilling. (And I am no talking about at speakers I am talking in the amp)

Last edited:
I've observed Q1, which is used as the voltage regulator on the OTHER channel is arching when I connect the turn on lead to the amp and that appears to be the area of my squeal/hiss as well. I don't know why the other channel voltage regulator would go out, but it tests well?!?! Could something be drawing in the amp so hard it is arching the legs of Q1 which is a 2n6487?

I replaced all 5 of the transistors in the bad channel Q32 through Q37 and it did not help.

PS- it does this with NO LOAD.

There are 8 output transistors and 2 driver transistor on the heatsink for each channel. The drivers are the two in the center. The drivers are typically rated for higher voltage. It's likely that the driver voltage (from the two 33 ohm resistors near the inductor) is too high for the 2N6490s you're using (assuming that you installed one in the driver location).

The voltage regulators supply regulated voltage for the op-amps which feed both channels. There isn't a regulator for each channel.

Arcing? From where to where? Bad insulator? Broken terminal?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.