PPI amp (power precision) blew out

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
K-amps said:

HeHe Not selling mine anytine soon. :D Back in the day I went through all kinds amps including overhyped RF's... but fell in love with the PC2350. Its rocks!!!

Alma Gates used the PC2350s(slightly modded) in her Bronco when she broke the sound records in the mid to late 90s. They will take more of a beating than a red-headed step-child. :headbash:

the 2150 is a PC series I was hoping to use it but with this problem I'm not sure, I took the bottom cover off and there is nothing that looks burnt or blown. In you opinion is this a good amp ? and should I consider it getting it fixed and keeping it ? also would a reasonable price to pay for replacing a PS on this model if I took it to a car audio shop with a repair tech?

Thanks in advance,

ysr185 said:
the 2150 is a PC series I was hoping to use it but with this problem I'm not sure, I took the bottom cover off and there is nothing that looks burnt or blown. In you opinion is this a good amp ? and should I consider it getting it fixed and keeping it ? also would a reasonable price to pay for replacing a PS on this model if I took it to a car audio shop with a repair tech?

Thanks in advance,

That is a good amp. Nice and clean. You can measure the power-supply devices to see if they are shorted. Test for a short from the tab to the outer pins. If they are shorted, all of them need to be replaced. IRFZ44s are easy to find and they should not be too expensive. As for having someone else repair it, in the states, it would be around $60-$80US. If you want, take a picture and post it.

Replacing the power MOSFETs in the power supply is not hard at all and you just need a $7 soldering iron and a little solder to do it. You can get replacement MOSFETs free by sampling them here:
Fairchild FDP20AN06A0 samples
This is what I did to replace the ones in my ppi a600, which is essentially the grandfather to the pc2150. Ten are required, so get at least that many. They only have 3 legs and they're big so soldering is no problem... you could have another problem downstream that's putting undue strain on the power supply but this is worth a shot since it's cheap to try. :cool:

A600

Hi: Can someone help me out with the schematics of the PP A600? U7, an integrated circuit on a ceramic board has been damaged because the ceramic board cracked. I plan to repair this by making another circuit board but I don't have the resistor and capacitor values. I emailed PP about this but they replied that the design is proprietary and that they only do servicing of their units in-house. Such a pity, considering that Soundstream Technologies readily gave me a copy of the schematics of their USA204 amp.

Re: A600

razirafi said:
Hi: Can someone help me out with the schematics of the PP A600? U7, an integrated circuit on a ceramic board has been damaged because the ceramic board cracked. I plan to repair this by making another circuit board but I don't have the resistor and capacitor values. I emailed PP about this but they replied that the design is proprietary and that they only do servicing of their units in-house. Such a pity, considering that Soundstream Technologies readily gave me a copy of the schematics of their USA204 amp.

There are no schematics for those anyway. The best you can do is try and figure it out by probing the other board, or find a blown amp that still has a good hybrid board that you can replace your bad one with.

from measuring

Attachments

• ppicard.jpg
    ppicard.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 569
TO-3:
Thank you for the info. Since there is no schematic for this, I'll go about it the DIY way.

lumanauw:
Thank you for the diagram. It sure will help me get started quickly.

justonemoreamp:
I can't send you an email via your email link because my account is still under moderation.

;) :cool: :)

razirafi said:
TO-3:
Thank you for the info. Since there is no schematic for this, I'll go about it the DIY way.

lumanauw:
Thank you for the diagram. It sure will help me get started quickly.

justonemoreamp:
I can't send you an email via your email link because my account is still under moderation.

;) :cool: :)

If you cannot fix it, I would definately talk to justonemoreamp. He will be able to help you out.

When does you moderation clear ? I don't want to list my e-mail publicly. If you can wait I have some help for your SIP troubles.
Or I can refer you to others if you like, when we talk in e-mail. I don't want to advertise here on the forum. We got em!

Let me know when you can , or get a mod to send your mail to me. I'll make the rest happen :)

PS thank you TO-3:) :) :)

ooh ooh oooohh you are the PPI GODS???? I have a smoked a300 that I need some help with, most of the parts are smoked too bad to get part numbers off it. I really want to fix it, since I have the matching a404. I can take high res pics of the toasty parts, and help on what else to check would be mucho appreciated

meepers said:
ooh ooh oooohh you are the PPI GODS???? I have a smoked a300 that I need some help with, most of the parts are smoked too bad to get part numbers off it. I really want to fix it, since I have the matching a404. I can take high res pics of the toasty parts, and help on what else to check would be mucho appreciated

We can definately help.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.