• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

PP OT made of 2 transformers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi smoking-amp,

Fortunately, my old frequency generator have a distorsion problem at the lower frequency's only, above 1khz, it is not so bad. I mesure the frequency response of my 1$ autotransformer and it seem to be very good, there is no loss from 20Hz to 2Khz and just - 0,35dB at 20khz ... Almost perfect !

But I have to mention the test was done with a 100 ohms load resistor and only 10V RMS "high voltage", so it was at about 3 mW ... Maybe, the frequency response will not be as good at 3 or 4 watts ... But I think the coupling factor is very high since it is a autotransformer. Maybe, my simulator have some problems with the autotransformers because I try a standard transformer in another circuit and there was no problems with low coupling factor ???

By the way, I verifiy all the tubes of my frequency generator and I change two I already have in my stock, but I have to find two rare metal 6FS5GA (or a two glass one), miniature 6FS5 exist but I won't modify that venerable instrument to use them instead of the old octal types ...

There is a very precise analog voltmeter on it, absolutely linear from 20Hz to 20Khz, I compare it to my scope and it work perfectly. In the meantime I found the two 6FS5GA, I will build a 2206CP based multifunctions generator, 0,001Hz to 100Khz ... I already made the PCB and solder all the parts on but I don't make the cabinet yet. I will also add some 2SK170BL bipolar buffer amps "output capacitor less" I design to give more power to the sine, triangle and square waves outputs.

So, I still believe my autotransformer can do a good job in my DN2540 / 12C5 project ... If not, I will use a small standard SE output transformer, with no DC in the primary, I will get more power and bass out of it.

Cheers,

Alain.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.