• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

PP GU50 triode strapped project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Gentlemen,

Here's what brings me here.
I have been living for 5 years with a Leak ST20 amplifier that has given me a lot of satisfaction.
I have modified it quite a lot though keeping its original spirit (split PSU and put choke instead of resistor in Pi filter and input sensitivity lowered).
Last modification was to triode strap the power valves and once you have tasted triodes, difficult to go back to pentode:)
But, because there is a but, I now feel that i would enjoy a little bit more power.
My speakers are rated 91db.

That is why, I was thinking to make a GU50 based amplifier.
My idea is to make a PP but with the GU50 triode strapped.

I have searched a lot regarding such a configuration but I must admit that I have found almost nothing in regard.

Could someone in the audience "take my hand" (as I am some kind of novice in amplifier design) and help me with this project?

Kindest regards,

François

Attachments

• 15.gif
    15.gif
    10 KB · Views: 1,320
  • gu50pp2.GIF
    gu50pp2.GIF
    10.6 KB · Views: 1,282
I found this two schematics on net:

I would suggest to go for it: all schematics published by Sergeev are carefully designed and well tested in real life.

Hey François,
I hope you know that GU50 is rather unlinear as triode. There was a thread here about trioded GU50 not long ago. Have you really tried the "search-function?

Hi Lars;

a first, he wants PP. And second, even though Gu-50 is less linear as triode that I would like for SE, anyway it is more linear than 6L6 clones that are used widely, including in SE amps.

I would suggest to go for it: all schematics published by Sergeev are carefully designed and well tested in real life.

Hi Lars;

a first, he wants PP. And second, even though Gu-50 is less linear as triode that I would like for SE, anyway it is more linear than 6L6 clones that are used widely, including in SE amps.

Hello Anatoly,

I have read quite a lot of your GU50 realizations, thumbs up!

of the two schematics by Sergeev, which one would be your favourite, if any?

Hey A,
The bad stuff shouldn´t be the yardstick. About PP 3rd harmonic doesn´t look 100% good either.

Lars;
3'rd harmonic means drive over symmetric bending of the curve. Shift bias point and you have less of it, but more of 2'nd order one. For 6L6 to shift bias in similar to Gu-50 region means instant death from 150W dissipation. I have somewhere one nice datasheet for 807, it is quite revealing.

First my Pyramid I tried to make using 6L6 tubes. It was quite nice, but I had to use 4 tubes for 40W of output power, otherwise it was far from high-end. Then I tried Gu-50 and got 80W of nice high-end power from one pair.

Everything is relative. When I say that 4P1L is much better for SE that Gu-50, it is a comparison, It does not mean that Gu-50 is bad for SE. But when I said that Gu-50 is much better for SE than KT-88 I don't mean that KT-88 is bad tube. Some people enjoy SE amps made on KT-88 and similar tubes, even 807. 807 looks like a lady, while Gu-50 looks like a trashcan. Some people prefer to sacrifice look to voice, some prefer to sacrifice voice for look. :)
I would be happy to see tubes similar to Gu-50 in sexy bottless, with half longer electrodes for more power and lover output impedance. It would literally kill all known tubes.

I would prefer the left one; on clipping it's phase splitter would sound less nasty.

Though, regarding the right one, the one with 6H3P, Sergeev says:
"simplified scheme and this had a positive impact on the sound. Changed the first stage and phase splitter.
Surf phase splitter scheme, but with a larger supply voltage. The second and third grids are connected to the anode, as recommended by A.Rezvoy to reduce the internal resistance of the tube."

BTW, what does the google translator translates by "surf phase splitter"?

Last edited:
Gentlemen!

We propose a schematic quality with very good results and audiofile.
The assembly is practical and simulated but with LTC, the results are execelente.
Also proposed by comparison and all tube schematic GU50 pentode mode but of course the power will be higher.
If the schematic GU50 triode mode, power is less than 18W ... 22W, but the qualities of a triode.
OT is the type McIntosh, recalculated and designed by me, the practical is very easy.
Sorry for English, but I translated <google translate>.
Thank you.

GU50 tubes are excellent, but they should be paid attention ...

Attachments

• PP UTC GU50 18W triode mod.png
    PP UTC GU50 18W triode mod.png
    65.5 KB · Views: 1,140
  • PP GU50 MOD PENTODE 50W.png
    PP GU50 MOD PENTODE 50W.png
    81.8 KB · Views: 1,119
Last edited:
I like them all. Good choice of schematics! You have to try each one François, then decide which you prefer. ;)

Well, one of the three is pentode, so "only" two left ;)

But I personally like 3 last schematics more than both Sergeev's schematics: coupling capacitors from drivers to grids of output tubes is evil.

There is maybe a way to modify that?

@LAZAROIU: in your triode strapped schematics, you use ECC85.
Would there be a Russian equivalent that could be use in place of them? I have plenty of Soviet double triodes but no ECC85.....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.