Powersoft M-Force Specs Now Available

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Very interesting

Bleeding edge tech and as such, very expensive and more of a "beta" item. Have to start somewhere so go pro audio to pay the bills. If they can save weight, size and setup, it would be worth it to a super group on tour around the world. If it has any problems, they will show up when playing stadiums etc.

Maybe in a few years it might be available for lunatics to use for home theaters. No complaints if I can get 8Hz performance in something smaller than a couch.

Josh have you gotten to see a real unit yet?

I've been talking to 3 friends who are powersoft dealers here in the southeast. Turns out 1 of them has 8 of the 30" mk 1 test units on the way.

2 of them both independently stated "143db, 30hz ,32 inch cube sealed enclosure"

This is about 20db hotter than what my sims suggest for any of the variations in a sealed box, and even matches the theoretical max for my most tame horn enclosure.

I fully doubt the ability to horn load Givin the current specs and sd (none of the listed specs behave without massive compression ratios). That being said, if the Ts parameters are "plastic" enough to get them to w9rk in a horn with compression ratio 1... single drive unit, 2000 liter horns would be attractive for installs in 1k person clubs...

I haven't yet but I'm going to try and remedy that.

I'm not sure where the output #'s quoted came from but that is impossible with a sealed enclosure. It would have to be with the quasi 6th order bandpass design that PS put out plans for. Even a perfect sim cannot meet that goal. It is not going to happen. The vents will not support airspeeds well over 100m/s I'm quite certain.

Well, If someone is still interested, some insights:

- Yes, set is very expensive, you are looking around 5000USD+ for a set (amp, motor, brackets, cone)

- real life testing of almost a year says, 30inch cone in a bandpass can substitute 4 to 6 18in bass units. Really not that bad, if you consider price of that many 18in and amps. Oh, and it eats away 2 lab horns. Did the test.

- port speeds in ported enclosure are a real problem.
- We are currently on a prototype No7 and No8.
- If you want low extension, go with the 40in. High: even the 30in struggles above 60hz in plain reflex enclosure
- Limiting factor is, as always, excursion. Amp is not limiting, at least in all our designs.
- So far 100% reliable. Used in high power applications.

What boxes have you tried it with? Any box that gives a good response 30-100? You say 40 if you aim low, do you mean cinema low or EDM low? Thanks for your insights

I've tried reflex, Hybrid horn (reflex-horn), bandpass. I have tried only 30in cone...but simulation suggest, that 40in cone will go to low 20ies easily...
Bandpass units are designed from rougly 30-100Hz with processing, without you get nice 35-90 with around 45-50hz bump.
It is a special system to work with, It does not act like a conventional bass unit... Try to simulate it, you'll see.
It is really tight, with nice low end (depends on tuning). Pressure sensor and feedback correction is fantastic.

I tend to agree with Mark. The motors have startling efficiency which is always good but do not seem to provide any more displacement than current approaches and in fact quite a bit less in some circumstances. Obviously the intended use is the typical pro audio scenario with extremely high output over the 35-100Hz bandwidth which these will be capable of extreme loudness but do not seem to offer the displacement to further advance the same levels of output deeper in the bottom octaves. That's a disappointment to me as that is where most current systems fall on their face rather than from lack of output in the top 2 bass octaves. The amount of flex that may occur in a 30 or 40" cone with very high loading and acceleration rates is something I wonder about as well.

There very well may be advantages in thermal compression, distortion, etc...Especially when coupled with the DPC system. Hopefully there will be hard data on that front at some point.

Anyone noticed the inductance on these motors? 0.26 DCR with 4.3mh at 1Khz. Wowzers. Now 1kHz LE is kind of useless for bass drivers but they do give complex paramaters and it does give some inclination as to the behavior.

The suspensions on these are ROCK hard. The stiffest I've ever seen. Perhaps to help with centering the coil rest position. These have no spiders either so that stiffness is all surround.

I will reanimate this thread to say that the supension stiffness could also be a magnetic effect like the one described in this AES convention paper
http://www.powersoft-audio.com/en/d...-9060-a-novel-moving-magnet-linear-motor/file
where they say they use "magnetic centering of the moving parts without the need of spring or suspension". Also, in the videos I've seen that that black centering X shaped thing is flexible and fixed on the center piece.
Also, I agree with you about the freq extension, because now, many shows use special effects and EDM, to create the WOW factor and a system with a very low end as powerfull as the 50 hz range would create that.

Anyway, nothing new, no other user to give us their oppinion?

well, truthfully the first enclosure willl like be a bass reflex with slanted baffle to keep height down to 25.5.

the final use will be determined after the units are in hand and comprehensive testing is done on them (utilizing the plastic T/S parameters, and dpc sensor)

Ok. I am very curious about the real specifications of this driver, not the marketing hypes. Best would be to have it tested by Ricci. Also, because of the very flexible design with so many possibilities to use it, it would be very hard to find how to use it for which application, because it sould be optimized for every one

People aren't rational. We're not thinking machines, we're - we're feeling machines that happen to think. Peter Watts

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.