Powering A Tough Speaker (Split from Simple Symmetrical Amplifier)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hope . . .

Dr. H, a.wayne,

I have to agree with You both.

Dr. H.

I currently still use the amps which I buy together with speakers, they are ordered by a previous user from a renowned German amp designer (he isn't with us anymore) and are made specifically for this pair of Scintillas incl. with a special low serial losses crossover networks.
I can only briefly specify its very basic specs. because I haven't any documents of it, but I do measure some very basic data a while ago just to have only a brief info.

1. No on/of switches - just 2. heavy cables hard silver soldered directly to multi-strand primary windings of each toroid power transformer (2 transformers inside each chassis - this call for a 4. wall mains sockets for two monos.

2. There are two 1500W toroids inside each chassis consisting only a sigle secondary winding of heavy gauge square wire - 35V AC output on an ordinary 220V mains.

3. Secondary wires are directly silver hard soldered to a 4 big Motorola bridge rectifiers connected in parallel to handle each secondary winding rectifying to a 50V DC.

4. All connections from a bridges to each rail bank - (120KyF Cap.) are made of a heavy silver passivated cooper brass in one piece and it goes all the way to under all power TO3 transistors which are also silver hard soldered theirs chassis onto a under brass - (for all the heavy traces it is used a silver hard solder instead of more conventional solder, perhaps of a better power transfer).

5. From the main filter banks there is a heavy coper wire to an additional 30KyF filter bank for each VAS stage and go forward directly to on board VAS stage un-fused. It uses also a separate heavy wire for a VAS ground.

6. From all the outputs of emitter resistors again is used the same heavy cooper brass - and again silver hard soldered and go directly to custom machined output terminals. The amp doesn't use any protections at all, just purest possible straight path to the output.

6. There isn't any switch, fuse or whatever used in this amp.

7. For power up procedure there is another small transformer with some kind electronics which slowly charge with very limited current the main and the VAS power supplies. When they reach the full supply voltages the four green led diodes indicate I can safely insert power cables in to the mains wall sockets.
8. While in daily use the amp is all the time switched on, if I don't need it for a few days or a even for longer period I just pull out the main power cables and live it powered with this secondary power source just to be in some kind standby mode.

9. This way it is ready for very quick working condition again on the next needed power on state.
- It has a very brutal raw power and the bass is exceptional, it is aways an air flow feel around the legs-trousers moves especially if there is a Reggae Dub music test (Mad Professor) for the source.

I would like it to have some more gentle civilized sound like this Acuphase power amplifier which I have a chance to test quite a while back - neck by neck with my amp. The Acuphase amps are able to play with my speakers the most pleasantly music from all amps I have chance to bring them home and test them with my Scintillas. They are also the only ones who was able to drive my speakers very loud for a hefty 30 min.- and they also switched off being too hot. The Mad professor Dub reggae test was too much for them also.

- If I would ewer have a chance .... to match a home music pleasure listening similarity to a car driving pleasure then I wonder to have a Bugatti Veyron with inner feeling of a Bugatti EB112 and a driving-handling feeling of a Ferrari 599 GTB Fiorano.

Nice dreaming after all. :cheers:

Cheers,

Andreas

Reading through that last post, I see a continuing theme.
Avoid current limiting at any cost. This is applied to both protection limiting and resistance limiting.

The sooner all amplifiers are designed to deliver adequate current into the specified load, the better for High Fidelity.

Sooner . . . Better

AndrewT

In these days of I Pod music generation, they'll newer know what the really life-like sound was already achieved from the best Vinyl sources in the nearest past for home listening - its like be there at the concert whenever I listen music at home, but for real revival such a feelings it is maybe again needed the best from the near past..?
I know for myself what the next step I'll have to do.
I'll add 1 more the same sized power transformer with two secondary 35V AC windings into the each chase, add another 2 banks of four Motorola Bridges in parallel to existing ones and wire each of the three transformers in its own phase (3 phase main socket). This way, the DC after rectification will be the smoothest possible, the AC ripple improved and the total instant current demand greatly increased, maybe I'll achieve from 0 to 200Km in 5 seconds . . . . ? :cool:

Cheers,

A.

Hello Smiley,

Agree on the sound of the Accuphase and nothing matches the clarity of sound like a direct drive ribbon IMO. As to your amplifier, i would step away from the mallory's they are not noted for good sonics ...

Could you post a pic of your arc welder ( amp) ....:)

regards,

Hi Andreas ,that sounds like an awesome amp! I have the Krell Class A KMA160 series amp, 80W with 400W heat disappation! They drive the scinnies beautifully. I guess it's curiosity that makes me interested in building something like the Simple Symmetric Amp.

a.wayne

Agree with You, Accuphase was my the beauty-est sound experience. And there is only one more better speaker made in the term of real Life-Like feel of sound - Apogee the Grand. I can't imagine how would they sound in eg. active 4. way multi-amped

In my amp there are only the heaviest BHC-Aerovox El_caps no Malloryes at all ?.
Do You think maybe Motorola bridges ? They are the highest ratings available from the time.
But one is for sure, there isn't any plastic transistors avail. to handle the peak instant heavy currents like the TO3 can.
I'll post a pic when I'll come home, right now I'm on my restful place for some 12 days.

Dr.H,
The amp is quite powerful, but once You have nicer experience ... there is something to make me think how to combine all the abilities of my current amp and give it a bit of gentleness .. I know it's like getting the beauties_t, smartest, intelligent, gentle, trustful, respectful, forgiveness nice girlfriend to become a wife and the proof that she never change latter... U_topic dreams...:rolleyes:
Cheers,

A.

Hello Smiley,

You must be well rested by now :) any chance of pics, would love to see the insides of that beast ..

:drink:

a.wayne,

:emoticon: Indeed, here is the one of the two little ones who can do . . . . :cheers:

Attachments

• MONO BLOCK_SCINTILLA.jpg
    MONO BLOCK_SCINTILLA.jpg
    611.9 KB · Views: 410
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.