• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Power Transformer Wiring Question ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
"Normal", for classic "full wave rectifier" tube amp PSU is center tapped, which needs just 1 high voltage insulated 5V rectifier filament winding.

Now when you want to make a full wave bridge or other combinations, the sauce gets real thick, meaning multiple well insulated filament windings or in this case, separate transformers.

Quickly it becomes unefficient/antieconomic.

TRY THIS

Hi....please see below circuit that I have drawn...this will work and solve your problem I have used it a number of times...hope it helps !

I have two identical toroid power transformers, 120V primary and 350V-0-350V secondary.

Can I wire the secondary of each transformer together in series to get 700V-0-700V ?
If I can, what should I be aware of ?

The voltage will be rectified with 2 damper diodes and the CT will be grounded.
Is there a better way to wire this up ?

Attachments

• PSU.jpg
    PSU.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 48
I have two identical toroid power transformers, 120V primary and 350V-0-350V secondary.

Can I wire the secondary of each transformer together in series to get 700V-0-700V ?
If I can, what should I be aware of ?

The voltage will be rectified with 2 damper diodes and the CT will be grounded.
Is there a better way to wire this up ?

yes...
a 350V-0-350V traffo is also a 0-700 traffo if you tape up the 0 lead...
so two of those makes a 700-0-700 volt traffo.....

to get the phasing of he secondary right, go ahead and connect the secondaries as 700-0-700 temporarily...

parallel connect the two primaries...
inject about 6 volts ac into the primaries...
measure the secondaries and verify that the voltages add up...
if you measure about 36 volts on each 0 to 700 volt leads but measured 0 volts on each 700 volt leads, then you got your phasing wrong....
just reverse one side of the 0-700 secondary and check again,
this time it should be ok.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.