power supply conundrum

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i dont think its the dram chip, here is a picture of it. its the middle chip.

Attachments

• IMG_1611.jpg
    IMG_1611.jpg
    692 KB · Views: 107
Technics SL-P2 CD player running hot

Hi everyone,
Got myself a technics sl-p2 cd player looks nice and runs ok but has an issue with the mains transformer it get very hot. After a few tracks the secondary windings are up to about 65c and the laminate at about 56c using an infrared thermometer. I have noticed however that the display brightness flickers not when the laser carriage is moving to another track but when the the laser is getting a lock then the flickering stops, the flickering is happening exactly with the sound of the laser tryingh to get a lock.
I got hold of another SL-P2 and that is doing the same. Is this a normal thing with these early technics cd players with transformers that get sssoooo very hot.
I know there is probably a high current drain somewhere but where? I have unplugged the transformer supply lines to the main cd board and transformer runs nice and cool so power supply is ok. :confused:

Any help would be so welcome as i really like the look of these player with the beveled front.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
If both are doing then the same then you have to suspect its a characteristic of the model.

The display flickering as the carriage moves does not sound normal and I would investigate that by looking at all the rails, both the stabilised and raw, to see if anything unusual shows.

Make sure that if there is a voltage selector then it is set correctly i.e. not 220 vac for UK 230 (and often nearer 245) mains.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.