power supply chokes for solid state?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Dorkus,

As far as I know there is no diagram of the Jung supply available on the Web.

In any case do take a look at this:

http://www.jps.net/eslinfo/audioelectronics/sb1_regulator.htm

The Jung supply is a refining of that design, basically, taking the point where you feed the supply into the feedback loop.

Some boostrapping also to lower the noise.

E-mail me if you want it.

Carlos

Jam,
Shunt regulators have, at least on paper, some things to recommend them, but I haven't quite reconciled myself to the waste (yeah, yeah, I know...this from a guy with tubes and Alephs in his listen room). It's on my list of things to do, but pretty low.
Have you seen any shunt circuits that struck you as particularly interesting?

Grey

Jam,
I've always thought they'd be good for circuits that had pretty predictable load currents (say, a differential--virtually DC) so that you could keep wasted electrons to a minimum.
Just had a moment to glance at that circuit, but it looks tidy and simple. I'll try to get back to it later.

Grey

Stax patented a shunt regulator design which used a Current Source instead of a resistor in the Voltage line, the patent expired a few years ago.

http://164.195.100.11/netacgi/nph-P...s1='4366432'.WKU.&OS=PN/4366432&RS=PN/4366432

To view the Images you will need a TIFF viewer, Quicktime will do it or you can get Alternatiff plugin ( http://www.mieweb.com/alternatiff )

Fig 7 (page 5 of 11) shows the full schematic for an output voltage of +19.2Vdc, all the parts are in the text, never got round to building one myself.

The same designer at stax (Masao Noro, working for Yamaha last I noticed) patented their "Direct coupled DC amplification circuit" US Patent: 4,406,990
http://164.195.100.11/netacgi/nph-P...s1='4406990'.WKU.&OS=PN/4406990&RS=PN/4406990
might also be of interest?

Regards
James

ah, there it is! thanks thoth!

marc

p.s. when i get some spare time i gotta get my audio web site up and running, a bunch of people have expressed interest in posting their designs and such somewhere on the web and i have plenty of space on my server. i'll let you all you guys know when the site's ready.

Stax Patents

James,

You seem to be able to come up with the goods(schematics ect.). I bet you live on the web. I have a copy of a schematic for a Stax jfet preamp using a shunt supply somewhere. Considering that this was almost 20 years ago, Stax was way ahead of the game. I remember that it sounded very good but I was a poor starving student at the time.

Thanks,
Jam

P.S. You need to hook up with marc (dorkus) when his web site is ready.

[Edited by jam on 06-28-2001 at 09:31 PM]

There is more to power supply chokes than meets the eye as i have recently found out. From the above posts it would seem to be a good idea if you can insert the choke before the recifiers. A ferrite wound choke of large inductance is relatively small compared to the complications of a DC choke.
Can the person who quoted the Fernando Garcia artical tell me if I can read this on the web or can he send me an email with the artical in it as I am interested to read this.
Thanks and regards
Phil

Shutting out garbage

Some time ago there were some tests made in Glass Audio, if I am not wrong.

Measurements compared combinations of series resistors, series inductors and combinations of both on power supplies.

If I remember well the series resistor choice was the most effective one, space and money wise.

Ben Duncan proposed something, many years ago in his HFN & RR mag articles, that was quite interesting: using a 1 or 2 ohm resistor between bridge and filter caps, and another between filter cap and regulator.

The idea was to keep AC garbage out of the power supply lines.

Carlos

poor's man chokes... and patents...

Hi all...

When I was student we were requested to build a power supply using chokes, well our fast solution was to use a 12v/5A transformer ('EI' transformer, In Mexico toroids are near to impossible for DIY...), we use just the secondary windings (12v output). It did the work, is not the ideal solution but is ok. You should take care of the primary winding (120/240 input), we just cut the wires...

James, regarding the second patent you posted, I was amazed to see basically the input stage of NP's Susy arrangement but with transistors... This NP guy is very cleaver, he achieves multiple things with simple arrangements... now, really, I'm starting to believe that a marriage between zen and technology can be possible... =)

-MKT-

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
The Allen Wright sounds very natural in my pre-amp and poweramps. But all of them use Tango chokes designed for choke-input power supplies. The model i use is 20 Henry at 150 Ma.They are quiet expensive but you can order them directly in Japan at Soundshop Big. Excellent and quick service, Ed

G

Joined 2002
Hi Guys,

Not to butt in but I finally cobbled together this single rail supply with a lot of help. It utilizes a small power choke thats good for 800 mA. Which should be enough for any preamp circuit. The choke in the power supply is made by API Delevan and is available at Digikey (Part#DN2440-ND). Granted it's only 2.2mH. Another place to look for chokes is here:

http://cgi6.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISA...ed=0&sort=2&since=-1&include=0&page=1&rows=25

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• ss.gif
    ss.gif
    16.6 KB · Views: 671
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.