Power Supply Capacitors

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Goodguys,

Thanks for the replies. Much Appreciated. Actually, those same two Panasonics were the ones I mentioned in my previous posts. I was considering the ECG series ones which seem to be rated highly by many here. Those are 50mm in diameter, so I could mount them upside down using the 2 inch clamps I have. I didn't plan on everytrhing being on one board, just in one case. I thought I could build a dual mono power supply (2 transformers, two bridges and two sets of filter caps) in the center of the case in it's own shielded compartment, with the amplifier boards at the left & right sides of the case. The power supply would just be hardwired with heavy wire and solder, no pcb. I would keep all the mains related stuff (switch, fuses, soft start,etc) towards the cener of the case with the rca inputs and speaker binding posts near the edges for as much physical separation as possible.
Best Wishes,
Bob

caps

Hi. It all sounds very good. There is not much i could add to that except perhaps the possibility of bypass capacitors, 1000uf then a small film between 1uf and 0.1uf wima are good for this paper in oil are the best this is called cascade bypassing, ptfe teflon type silver wire for speaker and power connections.

Best luck with your project, do let me know how you get along or if you have any problems.

I've had trouble with loose wires melting off snap-in cap terminals and popping up (to the metal cover, big flash and blown transistors). That is why I put the snap in caps on a lexan board I saw out of stock from the lumberyard. I drill holes for the cap terminals, put the buss wire under them, and clench the snap in terminals over the bus wire, then solder. Then I strain relieve the bus wire by looping it once through the lexan before running off to the load. If you only have one cap per drain wire, at least put a plastic board over the snap in cap and loop the wire through one hole before running out to the load. I glue the cap to the terminal board with silicon seal or wallboard adhesive. Screw terminals caps are 10x what snap in caps cost, so I'm not doing that again. My subassembly with two pieces of lexan top and bottom makes a nice sandwich to bolt to the case and hold snap in caps stable in a PA amps that gets carried a lot.
Glad you ignored dreadpirate's suggestion of surplus e-caps. I buy surplus transistors, hardware, switches etc, even from apex, but the rubber seal in e-caps gives them a shelf life that only nitrogen packing would extend. Life is too short to use old stock e-caps for anything but temporary experiments.

Last edited:
Hi. Kemet are decent, it all depends on how they are going to be used and in what equipment, the impedance changes at different frequencies.
So, where are these caps going to be used, power supply? Audio Equipment?
Are there any caps already on the board which will be in parallel to these Kemets once installed?
Which capacitors are these kemets going to be replacing, are you changing the values or keeping to stock

Last edited:
Hi Everyone.
I saw some caps at Digikey that look like they might be perfect and fall well within my budget. They are Panasonic ECG T-HA Series 15,000 uF 100v 125v surge # ECEP2AA153FA rated -40 to +105 w/ 3000 hrs. at 105 lifetime. Their 50mm in diameter (around 1.96"), which means the should fit my 2" bracketets. I could mount them upside down using the backets with the pins facing up for easy soldering. The specs on them look pretty good. I would just use 8 of these (4 for left channel & 4 for right) which would make the total cost for the caps $222.16 plus shipping. Anybody have any thoughts on using these mounted with brackets upside down? Thanks again for taking the time for all the replies. Very Much Appreciated.

Best Wishes,
Bob

Hi, u1022186.

Per original post you were looking for 10,000uF 100v electrolytics.
How about the Panasonic ECET2AA103FA (40mm D)? OK, they are snap-ins but they are very good caps. The space between between the clamp and the cap sleeve could be filled with RTV sealant or rubber strip (180 Deg C MP), for example.

Best of luck with your project.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.