Power Follower (P.Macura) some question?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
AKSA said:

Yes, indeed, some like it hot. I once did a mosfet with bipolar driver in CFP, with tube as voltage amplifier. In Class A, it sounded better than anything else I've ever done.

But the tube distortion was high, perhaps 2% (not measured). There was, however, just audible intermodulation on highly complex, heavy orchestral music. But gee it was nice.

Hugh,

and that's the case. Some like it, some not.
I knew I would not need to explain ;)

ok, I see so many answers about using tube for a input stage...
hm... and so - the parts for combination doz-pre + power follower are already buy from me... and from my experience with DoZ amp (look at the link below) i think that i really want to know what kind of sound will be consequence of doz-pre + Power Follower making ...
Today i will go to shop and buy some 1uf , maybe 2uf MKP's (i hope that they will be find in the shop) or even some MKT or MKS4 ... and i will start making PCB's proposed from Pavel ...

REM: I am 29 years old and electronics for me is nothing but a hobby, and way for having good sounding audio without throwing extra money on market :)

For tube sound - I have experience with Tube buffer + Gainclone (LM3875) output stage, but there will be problem with DC offset ... etc.... and someone was saying that tube has specific sound . I'm agree with that and using tube gets to high distortion, but different sound... well see...
maybe for beginning i will make "standart" configuration and then i will experiment with tubes :)

Best Reggars!
Niki / BG

panic!

Helli again, i've already made PCB's :) BUT,
i have some questions about things that i don't understand:
On the components layout sheme i see one R9 that dont exist on this sheme What value have R9?! D1 and D2 are too unknown for me?
What values are they? And also i see marked points on PCB and don't know what their proposal is? I mean point between C6-plus and R7 , and other: between two collectors of Q2 & Q3?
Thank You!
Reggards!
Niki
BG

Niki,

those marked points are intended as option for measuring pins, helping to set half supply value between Q2 and Q3 collectors, by turning trimpot VR1.

Pavel

Attachments

• pcb1.jpg
    pcb1.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 535
Thank you :)
Great job you've done with this Power Follower, Peter :)

After listening tests i have to say what is my impression.
First of all this is the most correct amplifier i've listen with the best high frequences of all... There is no hum or ringing... btw, my heatsinks are not enough for this monster. Working temperature was around 100.C but when i use auxiliary heatsink, temperature fall to 85-90.C
But i have some observation - i hear little lack of low freq and little distortion at lowest diapason. What tweak You recommend?
My power supply is 30V AC transformer, after is big Siemens Capacitor - 33000uF (1976 year made, but perform great menage)
My DC is around 36VDC. My 1uf and 2uf capacitors are MKT (instead of MKP, for example). IRFP340 and TIP142 are original and i think they are ok. Instead of R- 1ohm/5W, i use four 1ohm/5W in this sheme:
---###--- + ---###---
---###--- + ---###---
and after this my procedure i get 1ohm/20W :)
What are importand capacitors for sound? And what kind or manufacturer do you propose for replacing them?
Is worth it if i use some fast shotky diodes in rectifier bridge, like example my favourite BYV or BYW series from Philips?

Best reggards!
Niki

mod news

Hello, i made changes to amplifier parts:
C101+C102 = 2uF MKP x1
C1+C2 = 2uF MKP x1
C5 - 100uF RU Silver Tantal
C6 - 2000uF /50V [M]
C4, C103 - 47uF /25V ELNA
C104 - 10000uF /35V Nipon Chemical
For amplifying Gain of DoZ i replace R4 from 4K3 to 3K3 and replace C3 from 27uF to 33uF.
With this changes sound get better and no distortion in low freq.

I've try replacing C106 with Wima MKP 1uF but sound gets worse in middle freqs. and after this i put for C106 1uF MKT - strange but this is the best choice for now.
Interesting that voltage across D101 is 4.4V

ok

Thank you for your note Pavel, but i've searching and searching and so... and i can't find anywhere the same type of zener :(
Transistors, transformer, bridge and resistors at 1ohm are run pretty hot... huh ... And even with help of my secondary heatsinks temperature of transistors run at approx 100.C ....but in other side sound is wonderful... wow what a sound from 2 piece of transistors :angel: "Direct" album from Vangelis, Jan Garbarek's - "In Praise of Dreams" or "Love Over Gold" from Dire Straits I never listen them so pure and clean like with Your amp!!!
I'll try increasing resistors to 1.5ohm like you propose. 10x

Best reggards!
Niki

Niki,

at the bottom end of follower web page

http://www.pha.inecnet.cz/macura/follower_e.html

there is a formula that shows how quiescent current varies with R6 value. So you can play with R6 (originally 1 Ohm) to change Iq. Increase of R6 will decrease Iq, but also power will be lower.

I agree, the Follower sounds best when connected directly to the CD output, without any interstage. The case is volume, depends on speaker sensitivity.

MikeB, these resistors in series will "damage" sound?!
When i was experimenting with DoZ i was so confused from enormous differences between trasnistors...
and maybe here , with power follower the situation will be the same, thats because i was asking about some parts replace, maybe different transistors? i really dont know...
and some news: I've try changing entrance of DoZpreamp+Power Follower, i mean that signal from CDplayer i put it between R101 and C101-C102.
DoZ-preamp + Power Follwer
The result was ofcourse - low level output and little clear and smooth sound, but especialy with lowest freq - the situatuion was the same...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.