• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Power cord replacement

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Johan,
What Cal said was true. When it reaches 0°, we Canadians are getting ready to plant. Stay warm and play in the basement where your stuff is. You don't really need to shovel any driveways, do you? ;)

Hi EC8010,
Hey, how are you? Nice you "see" you around.

Tried screened cables and they don't seem to make any difference to my stuff. They are mixed with unshielded types in my pile 'o power cables.

Having said that, I do try to use shielded ones on my 'puters, printers and test equipment. Just makes me feel better.

The power supply seems to be the best place to rid your equipment of noise. Never forgetting any inputs or outputs if your RF noise is high. now, this does bring up another question. I wonder how many people have gone crazy on AC mains filtering, floating and regulating, only to leave the tubes sitting out on top of the chassis - unshielded! :D

-Chris

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi rdf,
what is the sensitivity of tubes to RF, and at which frequencies?
If the plates are unshielded, and there is gain after this point, this may easily overshadow any other concerns. :devilr:

The frequencies of concern are probably all of them. From 60 (50) Hz pickup, all the way up to a few GHz (a cell phone for example). This will depend on plate dimensions, field strength and possibly the location of other metallic objects on the chassis. Circuit impedance will have a large effect as well.

Ever notice how many ultra high end systems are shown with no shields on the tubes at all? How many people lined their listening room with grounded copper mesh?

-Chris

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
SY said:
I couldn't help but notice that you use a pretty standard IEC power cord...

Ouch. "He couldn't see a belt without wanting to hit below it." Can't remember who said that, but you probably can.

Well, everyone else seems to think a screened mains cable won't do much, so it looks like I can continue to be lackadaisical.

As for screening the valves - I have to get my glow fix!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.