power cord break-in or burn-in is there such a thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, golden ear people who fiddle with power cords probably overlook the simple common sense things in audio. They kind of remind me of those kids who run around in Hondas thinking they're sports cars, fiddling with exhausts, intakes, cams and manifolds. Yet they get outrun by beat up 5.0 Mustangs on a daily basis.

Disabled Account
Joined 2003
Solid Snake said:
fiddling with exhausts, intakes, cams and manifolds.

well, at least exhausts, intakes, cams and manifolds do make cars go faster (or slower if not done appropriately). That is kind of upgrading to a BG cap, or Vishay resistor, etc.

The golden ear equivalents in the Honda world are those who put go-fast stickers on their cars, thinking (hoping?) for a miracle.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
THERE'S HOPE...JUST NOT MUCH.

Hi,

So the forum had a positive influence on your listening education after all. I remember that when you started here, you didn't accept any suggestion that using different parts (especially resistors) might affect the sound.

Contrary to you and me, I have a nagging feeling he's using this in his system:

as does the use of egyptian maple wood casing and 100% purity gold plated directional cables.

Cheers,;)

Disabled Account
Joined 2003
Peter Daniel said:
So the forum had a positive influence on your listening education after all.

I am a born-again cable believer, :). Thanks to Frank's talk on power cords.

It is an influence. Whether it is positive or negative we shall see.

Peter Daniel said:
I remember that when you started here, you didn't accept any suggestion that using different parts (especially resistors) might affect the sound.

then you need to re-read what I had wrote. I am all for parts affecting sound. I wasn't sure and still aren't sure if any of our golden ears can hear the diffience.

On powercords I go back to the basics....

A house has a 1/4 plus mile of #12 or #14 Romex, and those $500 power cords are plugged into a .50 cent duplex outlet. Seasoning a powercord can't help much, but an undersized cord does hurt performance.

The last 3 feet of the AC value chain can't make up for all the other possible deficits.

Run a dedicated 20 or 30 amp circuit with an upgraded outlet. I've also run quality line conditioners, but not sure to what actual sonic benefit.

Just my $.02,

-David

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

The last 3 feet of the AC value chain can't make up for all the other possible deficits.

No, it can't. And that's already assuming there are deficiencies...

However, in a typical setup PCs are rather in close proximity of ICs and LS cables.

So, there's a chance of one radiating into the other and into ICs and LS cables...

With a purposely designed PC you can also shield and filter out some RF and EM interference, no?

Cheers,;)

fdegrove said:

However, in a typical setup PCs are rather in close proximity of ICs and LS cables.

So, there's a chance of one radiating into the other and into ICs and LS cables...

With a purposely designed PC you can also shield and filter out some RF and EM interference, no?

Cheers,;)

One thing I have been thinking about is, assuming PCs can
make a difference, could it be that some of them have a
filtering effect that reduces inter-equipment coupling thróugh
the PCs if they are all plugged into the same wall outlet? I
could imagina a slight possibility that a CDP could couple a lot
of HF trash into the preamp this way, for instance.

This theory
would at least void the argument that the cables up to the
wall outlet are crappy.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

could it be that some of them have a
filtering effect that reduces inter-equipment coupling thróugh
the PCs if they are all plugged into the same wall outlet? I
could imagina a slight possibility that a CDP could couple a lot
of HF trash into the preamp this way, for instance.

You're getting warmer by the minute...

Filtering works in a bidirectional way in this case.

The same arguement holds for LS speakers being prone to RF injection and EMI from close proximity of unshielded PCs for instance.

A simple twisted pair or star quad goes along way into the right direction IMHO.

More importantly to the penny pinchers amongst us, it doesn't cost more than a tenner to find it out for yourselves.

Cheers,;)

Re: Re: re Speaker Wire Secret

EE_Mark said:
What does "less than anything" sound like. Yes, since we've all been joking about how a power cord changes sound (good one!) I'd thought I'd throw in the manganin wire. It's about 10 ohms per foot. I recommend at least a mile of it for best sound.
I was referring to the temperature dependence of the Manganin wire.

Eric.

Status
Not open for further replies.