power cord break-in or burn-in is there such a thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

What I don't understand is that some people have 30 to 40 feet (sometimes more) of 10 cents a foot romex in their walls feeding their 3 foot, $1000 audophile grade power cord claiming changing 10% or less of their total ac mains path makes a difference.

Powercords can and, IME, do make a difference but that doesn't mean I'd be throwing big bucks at it...

I already gave a few tips on what makes a noticeable improvement in my system regarding powercords:

Twisted solid core of the same gauge that runs inside the wall is one step in the right direction.

The treated conductors as mentioned here in post # 16 is something else I'd like to try out.
After all that makes good sense to me so that's kosher here...:D

Cheers,;)

the power cord craze is meant to sell magazines like Stereophile.

power lines -- that's a different matter -- there's an entire art to finding out where crud eminates from -- mostly its poor connections at junction points/ceramic insulators -- like cranking up a spark gap generator used for a model-T, and overworked transformers, transients getting back into the line from airconditioners, blowers.

but wait until "BPL" -- broadband over power line -- is allowed by the FCC in the U.S. --

fdegrove said:
Is that still an ongoing issue in the States?

Ban it, period.

Not only in the US, I am afraid. It is used in some parts of
Sweden. Fortunately not where I live AFAIK. I don't think
I have heard anything about complaints, though. Maybe
those are to few, or they manage to do it in a well-behaved
way since the power company is the ISP and have full control
over what they are doing. Very doubtful still, I think.

I also think I read somewhere about some very funny side
effects when they tried it Britian, which forced them to
stop the experiments there.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

it's a concern to ham radio operators, police, fire and aircraft operators

You're an HAM guy aren't you, Jack?

Fight it with all you can, it's a safety hazard for starters.

There's nothing better than laughing at some subjetivists not being able to identify their magic power cords in some good old double blind tests

One of these days the joke may be on you so caveat emptor, senor...

Cheers,;)

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

After having the actual experience a zillion times there is no 'I think so'

Same here but I still like to see some engineering explanation for what I hear...
It often comes with a 20 year delay....:D

If you want to stay ahead of the crowd visit the link posted in # 16 and dig out the nuggets...they're free to all of you.

Cheers,;)

Poor Joan2. She asked the wrong question if she wanted an answer.

Joan, there is no evidence one way or another. There are only opinions.

If it is the case that a break-in makes a difference and it requires a special signal or sequence of signals you will be facing the purchase of a device to do it; probably a few hundred bucks. And, you will never know for sure whether the money was wisely spent. You may come to believe it but believing something and knowing something are not the same thing.

If no special signal is required then, obviously, the cord will break itself in over time.

i beg your pardon Bill i am no way a she!!

wow!!! so much response in 24 hours!!!

hi Bill Fitzpatrick,

precisely why i posted this topic here!!! when i responded to this by saying that this must be one of the many "superstitions" going around the audio world, they went balllistics on me, i got name called, and onther one even commented that my grammar was 'hideous'

so i am seeking out the world for answers....

Difference between power cords - certainly not, but...

I have one explanation for this question. Today's mains is very " manured " by any different radio - frequency interference. If this frequences are " drag off " to the inside of apparatus, they can cause for example faults in DA conversion or intermodulation distortion in amplifiers. By two wires mains connection ( class II apparatus ) is solution relatively easy : you can use cord with current compensated choke. By tree wires connection ( class I apparatus ) this solution is not suitable, 'cos fault is on " earth " wire also and this wire goes straight to the chassis of the apparatus and sometimes also to the " working groud " and the problems are therefore much bigger. Solution is in this case " to build own power station ", which is not easy :) , or to use insulation transformer, because only in this case is " mains antenna " shorte. I was make many " double blind " tests with independent people and results was quite unambiguous - when start play music, every people was saying after a few tacts , that all is much more clear in all frequences ( all apparatus was connected true this transformer ). Differences between cords are probably caused by different " tuning " build in RF filters ( if they are used ) - cords without any filters must be the same. Using of insulation transformer is trying to solve all - my best recommendation.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
fdegrove said:
Hi,

Not making any claims here, just pointing out that it can be measured:

Jennifer Lowpass Powercords.

Cheers,;)

I have some of these cords, in a version where they have a molded-on plug which has an internal RF filter in the plug. Nice, strudy, and measurably attenuate mains noise etc.

As I see it, bringing the RF filter to the wall socket from the amp and use a screened mains cord to go from filter to amp, as these cords do, MIGHT improve the mains quality, if your room is flooded with RF. It would also decrease re-radiated RF FROM the mains cord into the room and into the other components. So, I use them just as insurance.

Jan Didden

objectivism subjectivism

revenge of the never ending thread

at polytech we had a look at the mains with a 10k$ fluke meter-it was visibly distorted due to a few hundred pcs in the building taking their slices..

i remember skimming through the 'do cables make a difference ' thread..that was interesting,sometimes.

If science doesnt explain it,and Abx tests are inconclusive(or dont show u what u want to see),what infact do we do
-have faith, its unproven
-ignore it unless provable
-dont care about it if u feel better with it

let the people who feel better buying these things buy them,

personally il start with the worst offendor
speakers and room environment.

ps ive heard of ppl at audioenz.co.nz making an entire new supply spur in their electrical house wiring,from the switchboard so that no appliances interfere,distorting mains signal-this makes sense-but i would take some measurements,before and after
-and then ABX then listen,and be not much better off perhaps...

i should just be quiet and go back to my boom box and forget audio

;) :xeye:

Status
Not open for further replies.