Power conditioner or not?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It would be unusual for you to have a genuine isolation transformer large enough to run a power amplifier. These are quite expensive. It might be nice to use with a preamp, though.

Rayma,
I'm not sure I do. Do you think a Topaz model # 91001-42,
1KVA @ 120VAC would be large enough to run a 300B amp, transport, and DAC? And would it be beneficial? With and/or without the conditioner? Thanks.

Tony G.

Joined 2011
Rayma,
I'm not sure I do. Do you think a Topaz model # 91001-42,
1KVA @ 120VAC would be large enough to run a 300B amp, transport, and DAC? And would it be beneficial? With and/or without the conditioner? Thanks.

Tony G.

Wow, that's a great isolation transformer. However, these items may not actually help your power amp, and could even degrade the voltage regulation. Try the amp without any of these first, then add one, then the other, then both. The other equipment might benefit, but maybe not the power amp.

Most amplifiers and receivers perform better when the PSU provides a low impedance source of power.
All PSUs perform better when fed with low impedance power.

But that does not mean that some small amounts of added impedance, when correctly sized and correctly located, will make the sound quality bad.

An interference suppressor will add a small amount, or a large amount, of impedance. The benefit of the interference attenuation must be more than the dis-benefit of the added impedance for there to be sound quality improvement.

That means that the suppressor MUST be selected to suit the duty.

Most amplifiers and receivers perform better when the PSU provides a low impedance source of power.
All PSUs perform better when fed with low impedance power.

But that does not mean that some small amounts of added impedance, when correctly sized and correctly located, will make the sound quality bad.

An interference suppressor will add a small amount, or a large amount, of impedance. The benefit of the interference attenuation must be more than the dis-benefit of the added impedance for there to be sound quality improvement.

That means that the suppressor MUST be selected to suit the duty.

I do not know from where those theories are coming from? but definably in planet earth we do not have such things.

Wow, that's a great isolation transformer. However, these items may not actually help your power amp, and could even degrade the voltage regulation. Try the amp without any of these first, then add one, then the other, then both. The other equipment might benefit, but maybe not the power amp.

Rayma,
I guess this is what I thought I would have to do in the end. But it's interesting what you say, about the it not effecting the power amp, but maybe the other components might benefit. The Tice MBF-3 that I have, which from my research, are still highly regarded, has the least amount of filtration on the power amp outlet. I think the filter for the power amp is placed before the surge protection, and only has one stage of filtration. The next stage is the analog components. It has 3 filter caps on the line. One from hot to Grnd, one from Neutral to Grnd, and the third across the hot and neutral, and then two stages of filtering. Then the Digtal outlet, It bypasses the 3 line filter caps, I'm pretty sure, and then go's to a brd with two stages of fitering. The fitering is done with what looks like a round donut core with the input wire on one side making I believe 3 full wraps. On the other side is an identical 3 wraps going to the output. There is also a resistor across line and neutral, and one 50V disk ceramic capacitor on each side going to grnd. Then it goes through a second stage of the same. There is also a .22uf Wima cap I believe across the line to neutral. And on the digital brd. there is another big Wima cap also. I haven't looked in there for a while, and I never really traced the circuit and mad a schematic. Something to do when I have time. So I guess your right, and I'll have to try them all in different combinations to tell. Thanks.

An low impedance source is an amplifier at 4 Ohm which when is compared to a bad amplifier (by your theory) at 8 Ohm , the 8 Ohm one is not good for your taste because of it high impedance. :)

You are using the word impedance in every sentence of yours as to be a source of evil, when actually is a useful tool, that you may manipulate so to serve your best interest according to your sound installation project requirements.

As professional electrician I would say that protective measures it should be taken only if there is a recorded history of electrical anomalies.
Power conditioner is used to protect medical grade equipment which are running software tasks.
Sound systems does not need special Mains filtering, except if below your home there is a garage using high powered tools or running lots of electric motors (production facility).

Even surge protection is required only if you live over a hill, or in a spot in the country side which has very high trees.

Generally speaking, sound playback is not demanding regarding AC mains filtering compared with an recording studio.

Or if your power lines go underneath 10,000v high voltage ones. Which occasionally sag in summer and come into contact with the lower voltage ones.

Or if you leave your equipment plugged in during a major storm which downs power lines but doesn't completely disconnect the power so its intermittent causing MASSIVE inrush currents to go through all of your equipment.

Or if you happen to be so unlucky that you are away from home rescuing people from a flood when a major storm hits and don't have time to rush home and disconnect your stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oA9PJQEBikY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mb5TKkb6n4w

There are plenty of reasons to own a power conditioner if you live in an area where there are occasional even rare very large thunderstorms.

If you want the ultimate in power conditioning then get an off-grid pure sinewave inverter and make your own solar power system. No blackouts. No brownouts. No surges. No overvoltage conditions. No noise.

Just be sure to follow local laws and regulations regarding solar power systems.

Last edited:
The speaker sees the output impedance of the amplifier as the source impedance.

Low source impedance for the speaker is good.

It appears your lack of understanding of source impedance and load impedance and where each is located has confused you.

Any amplifier is capable to drive from 4 to 16 Ohm speakers, and no the speakers does not have eyes to see things.

I use currently two wonderful B&O closed cabinet, 2 Way configuration which originally was inside in a B&O TV set of 2000$ worth.
They are 16 Ohm 40 Watt and my KENWOOD KA7020 (2x115 at 8 Ohm) is driving them perfectly at 30% of volume level.

Impedance does not influence sound by a negative way.

Attachments

• B&O.jpg
    B&O.jpg
    414.9 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:
There is no surge protector in this planet capable to eliminate the surge, and all other equipment in the house to survive because of it.
The magnitude of the surge is always unknown, all that you can hope for is what will come to your sockets to be just a piece of the surge at a level that the surge protector it is capable to handle.

If you want the ultimate in power conditioning then get an off-grid pure sinewave inverter and make your own solar power system. No blackouts. No brownouts. No surges. No overvoltage conditions. No noise.

OK, so if you want music at night, you'll need batteries, so why not put the batteries inside your gear, feed the gead with DC, and replace the transformer/PSU with a charger that is switched off when listening ?

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
Someone some time back,

Mentioned a way to prevent power dip and restart damage. It is a standard used in industry its a DOL starter. They said they had so much of it from lightning storms etc that they put a DOL starter on the power to their HIFI.

Thought it was worth a mention.
For those that haven't seen one its like this:

http://hvactutorial.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/dol-starter.jpg

On a large power amp its just a relay with an on and off button plus a relay retaining contact..
As soon as the power dips it turns OFF and won't turn on until the power on is pressed..we don't get it in the UK (very much) but apparently is a major issue in some countries.

The only other thing is MOV or Tranzsorb diode protection. Telephones have GDT etc for signal level.
An example of GDT is at the bottom of this wiki page..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surge_protector

From a snake oil sound prospective..Tranzorb is the best but it's only my opinion.
MOV across Transformers is a good start and some conditioners work some don't<<that's just a subjective point of view on the sound effect.
Your going to struggle if you want to remove harmonics at a remote location from source. ie if the sine wave is already distorted. Then you have possible DC and RFI the list is a bit long. Then there is the issue of the filters and earth leakage.

Regards
M. Gregg

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.