Power amps burn-in procedure.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Arius,

You're having trouble hearing differences becuase there aren't any.

Burn in is used effectively to induce infant mortality or expose other defects... it is generally performed at temperatures of 60C and usually lasts for about 160 hours.

It is also used by idiots and liars for a numbers of reasons... money being one... followed by pride.

In commercial applications I will burn in amplifiers at 1/3 power for a minimum of 100 hours only to weed out any sick or otherwise perverted ones. If I have a failure it will be replaced and burned in also. This process will eliminate premature failures out in the field/job site.

I will however push the bull **** button on sonic quality improving after amplifiers being stressed in. I can believe in sonic improvement with tube amplifiers but not solid state.

hi,

perhaps "re-form" is the better word, electrolytic capacitors needs charging with voltage.

burn-in is the responsibility of the vendor. why sell something that needs months to get to speed.

otoh, why should i buy something that i will have to wait before i can fully appreciate?

can it be just a simple plug and play please?

I am on team with Pinkmouse and Jan Didden.

In the so-called 'burn-in-period' the sound doesn't change...you just get used to the new sound.

Even if one do believe that a new amp should be treated this way, then why not just use it like it was supposed to....to play music, and not test-tones. :drink::note::Piano:

if we put the amp aside for weeks or months, we need another burn-in to familiarize its sound?
Electrolytics de-grade when not charged to working voltage.

If one accepts that "burn in" is actually reforming of Electrolytics at their working voltage, then it follows that leakage currents will lessen with time on line and will be different when first turned on after a long time offline.

i am not with the burn-in camp. If we need familiarization period for a new machine, we need to get familiar the "new" machine again after it was put aside for a period of time. Will the familiarized sound memory fade with time? If we can't remember sonic character of a particular machine, the machine will indeed generate new sound every time playing music.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.