Power Amplifiers Power Consumption

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This discussion is off topic. The OP wanted to know why the power consumption rating on an amplifier was less than the rated output. It has degenerated into an argument about not needing continuous power output and how audiophiles are crazy to want high power continuously, that dynamic range is an issue. I don't think so; that is part of the application of an amplifier, not its basic operation. The spec is what the amplifier can do; its application will depend on the user.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
This discussion is off topic. The OP wanted to know why the power consumption rating on an amplifier was less than the rated output. It has degenerated into an argument about not needing continuous power output and how audiophiles are crazy to want high power continuously, that dynamic range is an issue. I don't think so; that is part of the application of an amplifier, not its basic operation. The spec is what the amplifier can do; its application will depend on the user.

I can agree to that, but one question was why that 1/8 power or IHF 'pre-heat' spec.
I think the OP has a point if the amp was spec'd '200W/8 ohms continous power'.

jd

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.