Power amp with no output at speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Mainstream brands are good.. the likes of Rubycon, Nichicon, BC/Vishay, Elna, Dubilier, Panasonic. From a quick glance at Mouser, they're all stocked.

Nothing wrong with Nichicon's Muse series at all.. used often by the likes of Marantz.

The original bridge is most likely fine, at a guess it will be a 35A rated "GBPC" type with spade terminals.

Power Supply Caps

Hi everyone. I found some caps that I can get at a fairly reasonable price and wanted to get an opinion on them to replace the power supply caps in my 30 plus year old amps. I read the voltage across all the current caps and they all have the exact same 75.6 volts across them and when I read the voltage across the 2 fuses (one for positve rail and one for negative rail it's the total of the 2 (151.2 volts) The original caps are 150v but I assume I can use 100v since each cap only sees 75.6 volts. The ones I can purchase are rated 15,000 uF - 100v -40*-105* C + or - 20% 19.0 mOhm ESR Panasonic THA Series. Do you think these would be a good choice or is their something else you would recommend? I would use 4 in each amp, which would be a little less capacitance than is there now but should still be more than enough. Their is currently 8 - 8200 uF 150v Spragues in each amp. Their real large, so with only 4 that are each smaller than the Sprague's, I could use smaller enclosures which would be great. On the Panasonics, their are 5 connectors as opposed to the 2 screw on posts of the spragues. Would I just use the Pos + Neg and ignore the other 3. One is marked +, one -, one + or isolate, one - or isolate, and one no connection. Thanks for any suggestions and help you can offer, Bob

Panasonic make good capacitors. They are perfectly usable here. The slightly less capacitance will be made up for by the fact that they are brand new caps and probably lower ESR than the original devices.

The extra terminals are mainly for stability when mounting on a PCB. You just use the ones labelled + and - and ignore the others. If you were mounting them on a PCB you would make some copper "islands" around those pins, not connected to anything, which would just serve to hold the capacitor down to the board. Personally I think such arrangements are pointless, and glue should be used in that case.

Thanks jaycee. Appreciate all the help. I think I'll go ahead and get them. Someone I know bought a bunch for a project and never used them He has 12. I'll still only use 4 in each amp and keep the remaining 4 for another project. He wants to get rid of them and wants $15.00 each for them. He said he's had them about 6 months and has never used them so it sounds like a great deal to me. Their still in the original box from Digi-Key and do look unused. I'm going to pick them up later tonight. Thanks again, Bob

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.