Power amp under development

quasi,

Skipping the technical details of databases as they related to the software used to run the diyAudio site, and for that matter many different software packages, it may be best to create a "ChangeLog" menu item and related frame page for ongoing history such as the following you have in yrou diyAudio signature:

Nmos350-500 page: Added construction guide.
Actrk Nmos400-600: Added power supply schematics and layouts. Added amplifier pcb Sprint Layout files.

But in the ChangeLog include data and time the item(s) were added, deleted, changed/updated, et al.

I think for your setup guide for the NMOS amplifiers should be posted on your website.

I am not sure if you still have, but I have your posted DC Detect as a seperate PCB, PSU PCB and schematic, parts list/cost, etc if you woudl like to add them to your project site.

I am not sure if you like to extend your Vrail, number of FETs/VS impediance table with the one I extended for fusing and R6. If you do feel free to add to yoru table or I can see if the one I created will export to HTML.

Regards,

John L. Males
Willowdale, Ontario
Canada
20 June 2007 00:36
20 June 2007 00:42 Type correction. jlm
Official Quasi thread Researcher

Good post John, I expect nothng less from the OQTR.

The update log is a good idea, and is easy to do with a link to a new page within the main frame. I might estimate some of the earlier update dates and list those too.

The setup guide will be included in an updated construction guide to be posted soon.

I can't remember if I posted a stand alone DC detect board (memory issues). I'm sure the OQTR will direct me to his posts.

I have not extended fusing to the power selection table. The more I look at the table the more I think it's a little misleading (even though I though I explained it's purpose). So it's no wonder I haven't seen one like it before. This and the fusing decisions made is often controversial, because like most things personal situations need to be considered. I.e; actual components used, power supply dimensioning, speakers used music played etc. Then there is disagreement on what will a transistor take? do we have to follow the most stringent SOAR model. I personally believe we don't need to (uh oh I've done it again...)

Everything else about the web site is a factor of available time and my skills as web site creator. Obviously I create better amplifiers than web sites. The web site is very clunky I assure you (worse than it looks) and I am learning as I go. Sperate post next about this.

Cheers
Q

Quasi needs a favour;

Couple of things to consider.

Point 1: I am the worlds worst web site designer. One look at the site will show this to be true. Yes I've been to other members web sites so I know this to be true. I suck at this.

Point 2: I have contributed these power amplifier modules to DIY Audio.

Nmos200
Nmos350 / 500
N-BIP300
Actrk Nmos 400 / 600

Plus:
DC detect circuit & layout
Slow turn on circuit & layout
Information about set-up, construction etc.
Around 1,000 posts about the amps.
Stacks of emails.

Ok ....now it's about me.

Quasi needs someone who is web savvy to create something for my web site. I believe it would be simple for someone other than me.

I want a guest book entry thing that will fill a table of guests that can be viewed by everyone. I'm thinking 3 fields.

I have tried to do it and I couldn't get it to work. I tried again and again....and came to the realisation described in Point 1.

Whilst the person who can do this will be as generously rewarded as John Males has been (OQTR), they will also have my eternal gratitude.

Sorry if I appear selfish....but I need help (opinion may well be backed up by medical professionals).

Cheers
Q

I was just about to offer my duty as web site maintainer. :D

What a coincidence. I am prototyping a web site design as I write this.

Not sure about the guest book thing at this point, but a site for all the project aspects for all quasi amplifier incarnations with timeline, documents, picture galleries and user comments is in the prototype state...

Cheers,
Sebastian.

sek said:
Great. Just send what you have in mind. :)

Meanwhile let me entertain you with a raw prototype to look at.

Just ignore the pictures and the fake texts, those are placeholders to fill in the layout (so that there actually is something to be seen).

Cheers,
Sebastian.

Hi Sebastian ( I have a nephew called Sebastian!)

Wow what a creation you have there. Did you write it or is it a template you use? It looks very smart. Now you've got me thinking....I like my left frame with selections, maybe I'll end up with something in between.

I have created a mockup page on the site called Guest Register. What I want to do is have people enter information in the 3 fields and then have it automatically populate the table below. I want the table to grow by itself.

If you can figure this out and send me the code to paste in I will be a happy chappy.

Cheers
Q

Hi Quasi,

Wow what a creation you have there. Did you write it or is it a template you use?

It's both template and code. I've been using Apple's iWeb to get this instant result, but usually enter the HTML/CSS code whenever it has to get more specific. ;)

I like my left frame with selections, maybe I'll end up with something in between.

Left oriented menu items are possible the way I use the program. It doesn't really depend on the web design software, but more so on the web designer... ;)

I want the table to grow by itself.

If you can figure this out and send me the code to paste in I will be a happy chappy.

I'm afraid this isn't possible without a way of accessing a database or writing files. This would be more than a snippet of code. After all, the contents people enter would have to be stored somewhere, and you wouldn't want people to be able to edit your html files in the raw (which they could in case they had the possibility to save anything at all directly)!

Your web space would have to fulfill a couple of prerequisites.
Does your web hosting arrangement contain PHP/MySQL or something alike?

But take a look at the "Guest Book" page on the prototype site. You can leave comments which do exactly what you want, except that it doesn't specifically ask for the country (which one could do in a separate text that is false latin layout filler at the moment).

Also, every Development article can contain comment entries by users. Just try to leave a comment somewhere to find out how it works. :)

Cheers,
Sebastian.

PS: This coding in framesets is totally nineties... :devilr:

Hey,

I just updated the prototype website with some content and some navigation. Needs some speedup, though...

Obviously, a lot of work on the content is neccessary to get everything sorted out.
What a chance to join forces with the official thread researcher. :D

What works so far: the project description of the NMOS amp (from this thread), the galleries of the NMOS and the NMOS200 amps, and the development log.

Please post comments and suggestions here or on the site (in that very development log).

Cheers,
Sebastian.

spind said:
quasi said:
"I can't remember if I posted a stand alone DC detect board (memory issues). I'm sure the OQTR will direct me to his posts."

I'm not an OQTR, but check post #853 for the stand alone DC protect board.

Steve.

Steve is correct quasi. See my prior links collection via Post #1316 and near the end of the list is a link to the referenced Post #853

As a side note to quasi, I actually created single board versions of the DC protect PCB for three reasons. First, for HT applications that would have the usual odd number of amplifiers which the dual board would be wastful for for the unused side of. Second, to enable the DC protect circuit to be located off the heatsink to limit the amp module PCB heatsink footprint to the amp module itself. Thirdly, as I had created updated module PCB versions without the DC protect onboard because others may wish to use a different DC protection circuit (maybe me ;) ) and to accomodate some amp module PCB edits I have made that added length to the amp PCB. You can only imagine what edits I have been making and still have to do when I have time.

Maybe we need to nominate Steve as the OQTR Assistant?

Regards,

John L. Males
Willowdale, Ontario
Canada
23 June 2007 11:46
23 June 2007 11:54 Added comments re standalone DC protect PCB. jlm
23 June 2007 11:55 Typo corrections. jlm
Official Quasi Thread Researcher

Re: Quasi needs a favour;

quasi said:
Couple of things to consider.

Point 1: I am the worlds worst web site designer. One look at the site will show this to be true. Yes I've been to other members web sites so I know this to be true. I suck at this.

Quasi, I like your site. It is functional, gives the information required with directness and loads fast. Your site avoids the common problem I refer to as taking a 747-500 to the corner store.

The only thing I do not like is frames based pages. The reason is frames reduce the visable area of the information one really needs to look and and therefore causes a user alot of scrolling to view the information. You could eliminate the frame by having the left hand links as a standalone page that then link to the existing pages as a full non frames page that currently show in the right side frame when the left side link is clicked.

Sorry if I appear selfish....but I need help (opinion may well be backed up by medical professionals).

I am not touching that one. My only comment for the humour of those of the thread was I needed a MRI of my head in the mid 1980's following an accident. The results were two folded and both amazing for anyone that knows me. First, they found I actually have a "brain". Second, and hope you are all sitting secured to your chairs which are secured to the floor, was that I had a "normal" brain. The point here is findings of medical professionals may not be accurate. I rest my case.

AndrewT said:
Hi Quasi,
I think your web is admirable.
Simple to navigate,
All links really do link.
Easy to read.

One word:

Brilliant!

I agree with Andrew. The Web Site I started Dec 2005 was likewise simple. I made the Web Site simple on purpose. I have not updated the Web Site as there have been technical problems with the hosting software and the tech support people seem to have basic problems understanding english.

As I mentioned before it was my intent to put my links collections on this Web Site, but that will not work as the forum software diyAudio uses changes the links to specific posts of a thread from time to time. I am not sure why, but I know it does.

Just as a FYI to all those that may wish to use any of the PCBs on my Web Site, all the boards contain the VBE trace error that is referenced in my Post #1167. As I cannot access the site administration page to edit the Web Site due to the still unresolved issues of the hosting service I have not been able to upload the revised PCB variants I made and wanted to upload.

One minor suggestion.
Have you read the thread on modfying your DC detect? You may want to consider changing some of your values to ensure wider compatability.

I second the suggestion, but if someone could pitch in and make the changes I think that would help quasi alot. I have not reviewed the discussion in detail against the schematic/PCB to see if I could effect the changes using GIMP as I have with other changes or corrections I have made.

Regards,

John L. Males
Willowdale, Ontario
Canada
23 June 2007 12:58

Updated NMOS350 / 500 for quasi

Quasi,

I have taken the time to update your "Power selection guide" on the NMOS350 / 500 of your site. I have added a specific reference to the number of FETs as being IRFP450 to avoid any confusion of those that wish to use a different MOSFET output device. The R6 if from your latest guidance of R6. And although I know fusing may depend on various factors, your schematics do include fusing recomendations so I have used the guidance of the thread discussion to determine the various fusing values.

The HTML file was saved from your site, edited by me using a text editor and checked usiing Firefox and Konqeror under Linux. You should be able to just load the HTML file to your site, after you remove the "-jlm" file name suffix, if you wish to have the updated "Power selection guide". You can of course open this file from your hard drive first if you wish to compare it to your current web page.

Regards,

John L. Males
Willowdale, Ontario
Canada
23 June 2007 13:50
Official Quasi Thread Reasearcher

Attachments

• nmos350_500-jlm.htm.zip
    1.8 KB · Views: 251
Re: Updated NMOS350 / 500 for quasi

keypunch said:
Quasi,

I have taken the time to update your "Power selection guide" on the NMOS350 / 500 of your site. I have added a specific reference to the number of FETs as being IRFP450 to avoid any confusion of those that wish to use a different MOSFET output device. The R6 if from your latest guidance of R6. And although I know fusing may depend on various factors, your schematics do include fusing recomendations so I have used the guidance of the thread discussion to determine the various fusing values.

The HTML file was saved from your site, edited by me using a text editor and checked usiing Firefox and Konqeror under Linux. You should be able to just load the HTML file to your site, after you remove the "-jlm" file name suffix, if you wish to have the updated "Power selection guide". You can of course open this file from your hard drive first if you wish to compare it to your current web page.

Regards,

John L. Males
Willowdale, Ontario
Canada
23 June 2007 13:50
Official Quasi Thread Reasearcher

Hi All,

Sorry I made one typo in the "Power slection guide" table from Post #1897. The R6 value for a rail voltage of +-60 was shown as 18K0 when it should be 6K8 per quasi's last guidance for R6. Sorry, my appologies. One of the hazards of cut and paste.

I also took the time to include the initial comments quasi stated as the context and scope of the "Power slection guide" table. I also added Post Reference numbers, related Table enhancement history (except this posting of course as I have to post before add comments and cannot have a chicken without the egg), history of quasi recommended values for R6, a builder's experience with R6, I added a column for proposed R6 values I have calculated in light of the builders experience, researching and determining the method of how to calculate my proposed R6 values and finially the posted posting used to calculate the fusing.

Again if quasi wishes to replace this page on his web site then just rename the HTML file by deleteing the file name suffix "-jlm_WithPostedComments".

I suspect sek (Sebastian) will be interested in this enhanced table and its related posting extracts.

Sorry for the delay in this posting. I discovered the cut and past error I made for the +- 60V quasi R6 value, but it has taken me most of today and part of last night to find, copy and hand edit in the HTML code for the extended table entries, the adding of the related forum postings text, and developing the math to arrive at the R6 values I have proposed for different rail voltages.

If anyone finds any errors in the attachment please let me know.

Regards,

John L. Males
Willowdale, Ontario
Canada
24 June 2007 23:50
25 June 2007 00:11 Typo correction. jlm

Attachments

• nmos350_500-jlm_withpostedcomments.htm.zip
    8 KB · Views: 197
Re: Johns post #1898

Hi John

Thanks for posting the revised table in HTML. I was halfway through integrating it into my web site when I started to think about fuse ratings and while reading your snip of Andrew's post I started to align my thinking my thinking with his.

Andrew's guide is to use a fuse rated at half the peak current into the nominated load and my view is now similar. The only difference is that I figure that we should use the RMS current into the nominated load as a guide. A few of reasons for this.

1. The RMS current is lower than the peak current and so selecting the fuse based on this is safer.

2. In every day domestic use the nature of music means that the average current will be lower still.

3. The desire should be for the fuses to blow sooner rather than later.

So I used this example:

Amplifier with 60 volt rails into an 8 ohm load would suggest the following. I have assumed a 6 volt drop in the amp at full power:

I(rail) = ((60 - 6 * 0.707) / 8) / 2 = 2.38 amps RMS. In this instance I would use a 3 amp fuse in each rail (8 ohm speakers are more like 6 ohms). For 4 ohm loads I would use a 6 amp fuse.

No doubt there will be further comment on this.

Cheers
Q

Re: quasi's post #1899

Hi Quasi,

I think I will wait for any comments from the thread re Post #1899 before I make any additional revisions.

I understand where you are coming from using the RMS rather than Peak power rating in your calculation. I think Andrew's reference in his Post #1451 used the peak power as Andrew based the fusing on a fast blow fuse. I would ask if your RMS based calculation is based on using a fast blow or slow blow fuse?

Regards,

John L. Males
Willowdale, Ontario
Canada
26 June 2007 08:33