Power amp under development

Parts

jhoel47 said:
...Quasi Amp parts for single channel is almost complete , IRFP450 worth $3 here in philippines , dont know if its sound cheap or expensive. :D
quasi said:
The 2SK1530 looks like a great substitute. Nice low gate input capacitance too.
How much you payin' for'em?
Cheers
Q

In small quantities I can purchase IRFP450 around $4 each. I think the International rectifier version is very robust. A fine semi device. The 2SK1530 looks superior and it seems it was designed with audio in mind. It is much more costly than the IR part and the lowest price I could see was around $10 each! I have been lucky with both devices as friends of mine ordered samples for me. The 2SK1530's aren't here yet but soon.

jhoel47 like Q asked, how much are your 2sk1530's?

Cheers,

Shawn.

Hi Tomwaits,
try 50k & 10uF. The RC is close enough to filter out the majority of audio signal.

If you test with a full level 20Hz and it does not trigger the relay then OK.
It might be worth tesing with a full level 15Hz signal if you use your system to reproduce the sound effects on film to see if it triggers.

Go as low as you think appropriate.

Take care to do these tests quickly and allow time for the amp to cool between tests.
A -20db switched attenuator to allow a second or so of maximum signal to pass and back to -20db is a fairly safe way for us amateurs to do full power testing without blowing up our gear.

If after doing your full power tests you think it triggers a bit too early then just change the resistors to a new value.

2Sk1530

Tom & Quasi

I Dont have any idea about 2sk1530 price yet, I told my friend that I will build this Quasi amp , he got excited he gave this couple of heatsink with 2sk1530 mounted on it, thats why I dont have any idea on how much this parts worth here, what have here is just for single channel so I have to buy another 6 pair for the other channel, so maybe that time I'll know how much is it here, :D , then I'll let you know ..
Im having a hard time looking for a photo etch PCB here, I just both an ordinary PCB and then ask my brother to made me a silk screen for etch resist. Whew :eek: I will post the picture as soon as I start building it..Thanks guys.

joel

Audiomachines,

Hello, nice to see you here, thanks for the tip man, so your from silang huh! Im here in Tanza cavite man. mail me anytime man (joel_m@pimes.com.ph)

Bigpanda,

thanks for your concern man, well actually lots of my friends here are also planning to build this amp as I intruduce it to them, they would like to see mine working first then they will built it afterwards, so I think its just make sense if I as my brother to make me a silk screen , it will also benifit my friends , :D . :D , anyway thanks for the tip man.

joel

hello,

I bet this amp will be a substitute for our beloved westrak amp ha ha ha ha,are you a friend of BOY Ogie? I often go to Tanza I have also a friend there a guy who repairs speakers, near McDonalds. I own also own a soundsystem.Maybe we could meet personally someday. Nice meeting you here:) :D

regards,
audiomachine

Audiomachines,

I know that guy who repair speakers, I live near that area, I know Boyogie but hes not my friend, I have a friend who also happen to operate His uncle mobile sound systems (EARS)we built one of the power amp He is using, We built one of SMG electronics power amp may be you know it too, :D, yes man I hope we could meet and get along sometimes, Im working in one of company here inside EPZA cavite (PIMES Corp.)
Used to be in manufacturing as Failure Analysis in Electronics dept. then management transfered me in Information systems .... mail me in my address man, Im afraid the moderator migth see us OUT OF TOPIC, hehehe,:D :D :D .

joel

Re: 2Sk1530

jhoel47 said:
Tom & Quasi
Im having a hard time looking for a photo etch PCB here, I just both an ordinary PCB and then ask my brother to made me a silk screen for etch resist...

FYI, another VERY popular technique is the "Iron Transfer Method" for etching boards. Google it and you will get much information. :)

jhoel47 said:
...Im afraid the moderator migth see us OUT OF TOPIC, hehehe,:D :D :D ....

:att'n: Sticking to the topic is good.

Good luck building. When you hear this amp, you will be very pleased. :D

Cool......Incredible......

I have just completed the single channel quassi test amp. Sounds great. no humm no burr..Better than branded ones. Thanks a lot Quassi for designing such a great amp. Also to all others like Tom Waits for their suggestions and inputs throughout this thread. Once I complete the whole amp i will post some pics.

I used the toner transfer method to fabricate the PCB. Using six no of IRFP460. +/- 50V rails. into 8 ohm load. Thanks once again Quassi for your valuable time and efforts.

Sony

sonsom said:
Cool......Incredible......

I have just completed the single channel quassi test amp. Sounds great. no humm no burr..Better than branded ones. .......Using six no of IRFP460. +/- 50V rails. into 8 ohm load. Thanks once again Quassi for your valuable time and efforts.

Sony

Congratulations. Glad you like it. With IRFP460's and 50 volt rails you could easily drive into 2 ohms speakers and get around 400 watts. (HiFi only, for testing do not go below 4 ohms).

Cheers
Q

Thanks Quasi

I need one suggestion from experts which is slightly off the topic. I have a pair of conventional three way speaker system. 50 lit closed. 10" woofer 6" mid and 4" tweeter. The problem is woofer is not that good . It's impedence is also more than 8 ohms. I want to have good bass and utilize the capabilites of this wonderful amp. Should I replace the woofer with a good 4 ohms one or shall I build an additional sub-woofer system? Please suggest.....

Sony