powder coating VS painting?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Samuel Jayaraj said:
While everybodys at it, I have a question. Any idea how to get a scratch resistance epoxy coat done on Ply or MDF? I've seen this kind of textured tough finish on some EV and JBL speaker cabs.

This powder-coating of MDF is done with a very tough polymer -- used in big box retail environments -- shown here being sprayed and cured:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

You can mix up a catalyzed epoxy (or urethane) resin and add a pigment, then brush that on. I tried that once; it made a very tough and hard finish. There's Imron which is a catalyzed paint; next best thing to powercoating, and maybe glossier. The problem with spraying is that it's very unhealthy to inhale (isocyanates or something); you're supposed to use a respirator with an air supply, not just a filter.

If you are patient, polyurethane "liquid plastic" paints eventually cure very hard. I've used those on speaker cabinets and various metal parts on my truck.

dangus said:
If you are patient, polyurethane "liquid plastic" paints eventually cure very hard. I've used those on speaker cabinets and various metal parts on my truck.

I've also used these in the past with excellent results. Final coat needs to be left a LONG time to fully cure, but, if you can manage to keep it out of harm's way for a week you should be in the clear.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.