Potting epoxy for toroid

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It all depends on the transformer temperature and the desired temperature of dispersion area. If a simple fan is not enough, you have to put radiator with a fan. And for a snug fit radiator will have to make the composition of the epoxy resin with aluminum oxide. While any fan will be heard because of the air flow. But it is compromises... You have measured the temperature of the transformer?

I am trying to have a no compromise system. I know like 10w at min is dissipated by toroid heat and I have a shop for custom enclosures- I'm gonna post the blanks up soon if anyone is interested. I want the transformer isolated from the amp to make sure that nothing can possibly contaminate the sound and don't mind putting a few toroids in a separate enclosure and running the power to the racks/enclosures holding the amp/amps. Sound wise, for this application the main equipment rack faces the room and is basically sound prove when all the doors are locked into position. There's a room behind the rack that holds a bunch of other gear...some of which is noisy because of fans like the DVR/NVR server and other stuff so I can put it into another rack if I have to. You see the "big boys" totally covering the toroid and I believe from reading it's mild steel and can imagine any other then heat being trapped in it. I have a CNC a shop also so I can machine internal and external sinks if needs be to keep them all nice and cool. 1 of the amps is running an underrated 800va toroid that can do 1000 for a few hours before heats an issues and the other is a 100va toroid. Pretty much most of the amps are running duel PSUs. Because of inlets and breakers I can't stuff a to into 1 without multiple power inlets, but that's not a problem. Seems like isolation of the toroid and heat dissipation has been a long over area that has been neglected and while I'm not an expert in amps and power yet, I do know that like everything else something great starts from the beginning. Regardless if it's the foundation of a house or a programming code rushed to market that limits future upgrades/updates. Maybe I am over analyzing things but if it's costing efficiency and possibly polluting a signal a better way is something that is needed and beneficial.

You could just make the bolted joint extremely reliable. Under the large steel flat washer, select a rubber pad which has low compression set (i.e. low memory), and utilize an system of appropriate disc spring washers (AKA Belleville washers) to maintain compression on the rubber. Then to prevent any potential loosening of the nut, use a jam nut properly.

My other suggestion, if you are dead set on potting your toroid, is to use 20-30% copper powder as a filler.

Last edited:
You could just make the bolted joint extremely reliable. Under the large steel flat washer, select a rubber pad which has low compression set (i.e. low memory), and utilize an system of appropriate disc spring washers (AKA Belleville washers) to maintain compression on the rubber. Then to prevent any potential loosening of the nut, use a jam nut properly.

My other suggestion, if you are dead set on potting your toroid, is to use 20-30% copper powder as a filler.

another 2A fan...454 is a BA round and can talk days about shooting.

I do have that as the set up but hesitant to mount it at this time. I can place my toroids and mains away from my amp but lack the knowledge to know if it is completely isolated from any nasties in the signal. Also heat being the enemy in almost all applications of electronics, i have to image a better way to cool the toroid but then again theres always points of diminishing returns so i have all this stuff done spend a ton on custom stuff, and instead of losing 10w i lose 8w...well was it really worth it? From all the guys in the know keep it open set it and forget it? Why would large OEM cover them and basically trap heat without benefits other then the logic of marketing and the whole me too aspect of following the leader?

I want the transformer isolated from the amp to make sure that nothing can possibly contaminate the sound and don't mind putting a few toroids in a separate enclosure and running the power to the racks/enclosures holding the amp/amps.
A good idea. In this case you need to make a shield against electromagnetic interference. It is necessary to put the toroid in a separate aluminum housing (preferably copper, copper diamagnetic). To fix the toroid to use non-magnetic materials.

A good idea. In this case you need to make a shield against electromagnetic interference. It is necessary to put the toroid in a separate aluminum housing (preferably copper, copper diamagnetic). To fix the toroid to use non-magnetic materials.

Again being a novice it seems like something like this would be implemented in most other amps especially ones commanding large price tags. Using the copper to reduce emi still doesn't do much with heat dissipation would you feel that separate blocks for each toroid with a fan sucking the heat out of the enclosure is the best way to do this? Leaving the center empty and loctited down hard but having the fan suck the heat out of the box would require venting on the top and bottom. The distance of the transformer bank would be a few feet away and then feeding the amps from the secondaries only. Some people recommend filtered IEC supplies and some say it's only needed on SMPS - if is used or needed I would imagine it's best going into the amp enclosures? I have a number of power conditioners and filters also and like anything they probably hit a ceiling so running a huge amount of VA thru one would probably be less then ideal?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.