Potentiometers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
LOUD noises are likely caused by DC on the pot, either the "input" side or from the circuit the wiper is connected to. Any slight disconnection of the wiper when sliding causes a voltage change proportional to the DC applied, and it can be many times the signal level. Such DC is usually from a leaky capacitor either on input or output, but it could also be from a bad design such as using the wiper as a current return path, or the full resistance of the pot as an amplifier circuit's load resistance. The "fully to the left" thing makes me suspect whatever's connected to the wiper.

If it's simply a bad pot with no other problems in the circuit, it should make very little or no static with no signal, and static that's no louder than the signal when there is one, or the signal seems to have dropouts when the pot is adjusted. Putting DC through a pot amplifies and exacerbates any 'scratchiness' problem a pot might have.

hi friend

absolutly right . I was faceing same problem some time ago when i stop d=DC path then it was complitely Ok
Can you post a schematic where the pot is used?

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.