Potentiometer Overview - Alps, Penny+Giles, TKD and Vishay and more, what's your fav?

I have an interest in a Goldpoint mini-v attenuator. They stopped using the ladder or shunt method, just alone series type. They claim that the input impedance is still stable with series configuration, how can that be ?
To be ontopic pics of the mini-V and the attenuator I use at the moment.

Attachments

• mv2_ang_170.jpg
    mv2_ang_170.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 1,349
  • Vishay_Dale_Stepped_Attenuator1.jpg
    Vishay_Dale_Stepped_Attenuator1.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 1,367
Today I got the Khozmo! It does indeed look impressive, lets see when I will solder it in the preamp. Shipping took a while: 5 weeks after ordering the unit, but I can't read the Polish stamp, so I am not able to say if the seller shipped it late, or if it rested to long in some post offices.

I'm using the Goldpoint mini-v at this moment and I'm very happy with it !
Input impedance is stable, first I thought(was afraid) that I would be needing a B1-buffer, but with the 10Kohm version my modded Rega P5 /pearl I /Aksa 100 rocks ! No sucked-out sound which I had with the 50K/20K Dale stepper.

Today I got the Khozmo! It does indeed look impressive, lets see when I will solder it in the preamp. Shipping took a while: 5 weeks after ordering the unit, but I can't read the Polish stamp, so I am not able to say if the seller shipped it late, or if it rested to long in some post offices.

Hi ErikdeBest,

How does it sound in your preamp?
How much did you paid for it?
It seems that khozmo has raised the price from usd99 to usd179 for a stereo unit (SMT resistor version)

Concerning the quality check of the switchable attenuators, also for using of input select, I have this idea: using of a input selector for (extrem low level) MM/MC phono signals to check out the audible effects of different switch brands (and relais).

Then I choice that switch type resp. relais type with the lowest audible effect for the source select (input select) of new amplifier projects.

for pre-select relais devices go to
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/153935-best-audio-relays-2.html

Precision Electronic Components - Home Page

If the brand is small and the brand name is identical to a colloquial term (like "Precision", "ElectroSwitch" or "POWER", it is very hard to find on the web. If the brand a large manufacturer, this is not so (transducer brand "Precision Devices" or semiconductor brand "Analog Devices" are examples).

The brand name "Precision" I have never heard before - thank you for this advice.
looks interesting for high quality replace in some vintage amp stuff
http://www.precisionelectronics.com/MIL Style 2RV7 PDF Download_files/MIL Style 2RV7.pdf

Last edited:
The one that I have is in the khozmo attenuator thread, there are photos of the innards. And that of the SMD version as well.

I personally know the performance of the Dale resistors (as do most here), so I opted to go with the known quantity as much as I could.

Steve, a friend, decided to go with the surface mount version as he liked the look of it and he wants to do external mounting on his DIY/custom gear. (a tripath thingie)

I prefer the board with no copper left on it, as the copper just creates some minor eddy current issues. If that is more detrimental than any charge issues (V), well, all that is debatable. Personally, distortion or temporal delays and signal induction with 'hysteresis like effects' on 'micro transient signal development and modulation' due to large ground planes have always been notably sonically detrimental in my experience. It may be mainly inductive but it is a complex struture and this has a complex LCR addition/subtraction to any reflected or interactive signal. Therefore it creates distotion, via addition and masking. Damaging the most crtical of electrical signals, the micro transient information that the ear works by. I don't like Mu metal shielding for the very same reason. Nor am I fond of solid or frozen lattice structures for signal transmission. But I finally found a way around that issue. :) Electron orbital orientation due to the reality of dipole moment in solids (frozen lattice structures we call solids) is a major part of the core reason for our issues of noise on/in electrical function. They may be aligned as well as they can be, but resistance is still extant due to these impossible to fix issues. Without them, we'd not have semiconductors, so the noise is inherent in the system and consequently added to all signals undergoing delta. John deals with this carp every day.

Anyway, back to ground planes. The only time they are seemingly not exactly so (disruptive) , is when there is an interference issue and it must be dealt with. In that case, IMO, it is like pasting over one problem with another.

When you are chasing down issues in order to get the clearest 'image' possible, one actually has to put thought into the smallest and seemingly least important of details as that is where the remainder of the issues are hiding. After all, this is true, if you have already dealt with the gross ones. Even when it seems perfect, hit with a hammer -again. Just my experience.

Last edited: