Potential reason why people may dislike BR based solutions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Once I got my hands on famous Visaton AL 170 and needed to
work out what kind of box and what inner volume should a friend
of mine build to achieve good results basswise.

Altough manufacturer provides all relevant data, I still prefer to do it
myself because you never know what production changes may have
been introduced.

There is a saying that picture speaks 1000 words , so there you have
them attached.

If one ever feels the need to build just by relying on data published, in
case of Visaton at least, better think twice. Nothing dramatic but it could
make one think there is something wrong with BR principle, because
factory data are ideal so to say and yet it turned out in my case not to
be so. For the ones wanting to do their own graphs, txt files provided.

Wish you all the best in New Year !

Attachments

• Visaton AL 170.jpg
    Visaton AL 170.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 493
  • Visaton AL 170 free air IMP.jpg
    Visaton AL 170 free air IMP.jpg
    238.9 KB · Views: 491
  • Visaton AL 170 added weight 7,8 g IMP.jpg
    Visaton AL 170 added weight 7,8 g IMP.jpg
    234.1 KB · Views: 490
  • AL170- air.txt
    3.7 KB · Views: 34
  • AL170- 7,8g weight.txt
    3.7 KB · Views: 38
What specific object or objects did you use for the "added mass" calculations?
Myself, I used American Nickels...as the American nickel is certified as weighing exactly Five Grams.
Measuring T/S parameters can be tricky........Have three individuals measure one specific driver for their T/S parameters & you will get three different set of values.

_________________________________________________Rick............

T-S parameters are not fixed values. The numbers you get actually depend on the method used to get them. I would EXPECT different measurements to give different numbers.

Having said that, the numbers should not be wildly different. An Fs supposed to be 38 should not become 66! That is simply a defect-probably assembled with the wrong spider as Baseballbat hypothesizes. Since that is a free air measurement, your added mass doesn't matter. Return the drivers. Qtc=0.7 will only ever make a horribly boomy vented box.

Baseball: Both of the drivers were broken in because I got
them second hand and the former owner had them for couple
of years. So I guess that qualifies for breaking in. Inspection
was made at normal room temperature. It was definitely the
suspension.

head: It is a little late for returnig the drivers. I got rid of
them already. Bought them for cheap, resold them the same way.

Am a fan of Visaton and used to work with:

W250S-8; W250-8; W200S-8; AL 200; AL 170; W170S-8;
WS 17E-4; W130S-8; FRS 8; G25FFL, G20FFL; MHT 12

I guess that was on account having the store in my neighborhood.
I have always appretiated and admired german engineering ability
and skills. Would not hesitate to buy again if in need.

Sorry for the delayed reply, haven't noticed your question.
When I went to pick them up at seller's house, these drivers
were installed in a box with G25's and seemed to be in daily
use in his living room. No sagging or any similar issue was
evident.

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
certainly not conventional but I can see some advantages. Lower distortion would be I think the main reason you would do it, but getting it to play a bit lower (say 200 hz instead of 300 or 400) without the early rolloff of a sealed enclosure may be another. Worse transient response is a tradeoff, but if crossed high enough maybe this is less of an issue? (which kind of defeats the second reason)

I've found when measuring drivers that the program used can give very different results for FS with some drivers. Only some, not sure what it is that causes high FS readings on just some drivers with some software. Speaker Workshop gives high readings on my SB 4" drivers but REW is right on factory specs. If I measure my Vifa 10" both programs give the same result.

Tony.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
T-S parameters are not fixed values. The numbers you get actually depend on the method used to get them. I would EXPECT different measurements to give different numbers.

T/S parameters are curves, not scalars, what you get when you measure depends on where you measure.

Lojzek, what kind of measurig kit are you using?

Here is an example, FE127 i measured using Fuzzmeasure and then the same driver measured by Mark using his factory kit.

dave

Attachments

• Fenlon-FE127-measures.gif
    Fenlon-FE127-measures.gif
    7.2 KB · Views: 150
They are almost the same!

It is only one parameter the differs: Cms. I don't think that there is a problem with your measurement setup, but maybe with your driver. Did you break the driver in? Or was it too cold? Possible Visaton used a wrong surround or spider. Ask them directly.

Baseballbat has it right. The ONLY parameter that is significantly different is Cms. ALL the other deviations are a direct consequence of this ONE difference (check the formulas!). And Cms is the LEAST relevant parameter of all, when calculating a BR alignment.

What you should be concerned with are VAS*Fs^2 (which determines optimal box volume for a given desired extension) and Fs/Qt (which leads to Fb).
If you calculate those, you'll see that the two sets of values (declared vs. measured) produce the same results, within a very small margin of experimental error.

T/S parameters may be the most widely misunderstood things in DIY audio!

Marco

Inspection was made at normal room temperature. It was definitely the suspension.

Would that be 20 degrees Celcius ? I also have great experience with Visaton drivers , cant imagine that fs is that much of . Give REW a try and do another measurement , its free , and see if you get the same results , would be interesting ! Did you measure the drivers horizontal or vertical ?

Cheers ,

Rens

Attachments

• 3839.jpg
    3839.jpg
    623.1 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.