Post your Solid State pics here

Mihail: classy, stylish, smart build. An amp to be proud of. A little retro and a lot of style. Good work, keep it up. What's next?

I thought of monoblocks on GU-72
For now it is necessary to complete some amplifiers for friends. 8W and 30W

Attachments

• GU 72.GIF
    GU 72.GIF
    9 KB · Views: 1,191
  • gu-72.jpg
    gu-72.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 1,188
  • gu72triode-adj.JPG
    gu72triode-adj.JPG
    139.5 KB · Views: 1,169
Last edited:
Hi all!

My last project at assembling: 2x200 @ 4 Ohm in AB class, dual mono, with MCU system (DC and temp. protection, 128dB relay attenuator, LED display, IR receiver, soft-start and etc.).

I am trying at last 4 years finish this amp :(

Attachments

• IMG_3265.jpg
    IMG_3265.jpg
    868.5 KB · Views: 608
  • IMG_3255.jpg
    IMG_3255.jpg
    934.2 KB · Views: 682
  • IMG_3250.jpg
    IMG_3250.jpg
    900.8 KB · Views: 622
  • 38.jpg
    38.jpg
    352.9 KB · Views: 664
  • 34.jpg
    34.jpg
    545.4 KB · Views: 729
Reactions: 1 user
Control isn't the issue. What I was referring to is the sound volume that can be achieved with low efficiency speakers and such a low amount of power.

If you had speakers with an efficiency like 100db or more, then 8W is plenty, although it's good to have headroom to never clip on large transients, especially if the recording has a high dynamic range.

On low efficiency hifi speakers, commonly 90db or lower, then more watts are needed to obtain a good level of volume. So you must be listening at low level, always, or you'll clip right away and not get much higher sound volume. With classical music, you get by listening at low levels, but anything with a bit of a beat to it will require more.

Have you tried the Pano test? It is really interesting and only requires a CD player or other digital audio source and a cheap multimeter. http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/mult...much-voltage-power-do-your-speakers-need.html

His test measures one quarter of the peak voltage that people actually use to reproduce music at home, when playing as loud as they ever want to play. About 38.22 % of them measured less than 2 V -> peak voltage less than 8 V -> less than 4 W into 8 ohm.

I don't understand your remark about something with a beat. Generally, popular music recordings are so compressed you hardly need any power for them unless you want to go deaf and/or want a conflict with your neighbours. Classical music is more difficult because some classical recordings have a large dynamic range (especially audiophile recordings). Or are you referring to audiophile recordings of acoustical music with drums? I haven't got any, but I can imagine they have large crest factors.

For now it is necessary to complete some amplifiers for friends. 8W and 30W

I was curious to do a spice simulation on this amp. Everyone who swears by it could be surprised at the actual performance.

I can say one thing: if using that schematic as a base, it requires some serious double-checking and attention, because it's full of mistakes and confusions.

I couldn't find all the right models, as most of the transistors are now obsolete, so I used others that should work and tried to get it going. I had to change some values and correct mistakes to make it work. Perhaps the models are part of the issue, but I can't see any performance worth mentioning. We can get much better with a class ab amp. class a is supposed to be very low distortion, but that's really not the case, very far from it.

I don't understand your remark about something with a beat. Generally, popular music recordings are so compressed you hardly need any power for them unless you want to go deaf and/or want a conflict with your neighbours. Classical music is more difficult because some classical recordings have a large dynamic range (especially audiophile recordings). Or are you referring to audiophile recordings of acoustical music with drums? I haven't got any, but I can imagine they have large crest factors.

For one thing, cd/dvd recordings, although still compressed, are far less compressed than the vinyls used to be, and their dynamic range is significant in comparison. of course some recordings are better than others, less compressed, whatever. that's not the point. if you are satisfied with a low sound volume, that's ok, you are surely not going to wake the neighbor's kids with w few watts and low efficiency speakers.

Well done for your perseverance & result. What did you draw the model with, it's a work of art on its own. :)
Thanks )

The model is drawed with Solidworks and rendered with Photoworks (I have tried to use Maxwellrender, but it was not succesful, because all file names are in russian language and Maxwell can't read it).

Here is some pics from Photoworks:

Attachments

• 18.jpg
    18.jpg
    423.4 KB · Views: 1,582
  • 39.jpg
    39.jpg
    420.2 KB · Views: 1,493
TECHNO power amplifier by Dr.Borivoje Jagodic

"Techno" is finished, just some details missing... Music is here: "Dusko Goykovich - Menina Moca" and everything is OK...

Attachments

• Daylight.jpg
    Daylight.jpg
    256.9 KB · Views: 1,046
  • DualTechno.jpg
    DualTechno.jpg
    317.5 KB · Views: 951
  • DualTechno2.jpg
    DualTechno2.jpg
    272.1 KB · Views: 911
  • Inside.jpg
    Inside.jpg