Post your DIY Musical Instruments/Amps here!

I should call this project a cancer synth as it seems to grow uncontrolled. Whenever I find a cool module I either buy the pcb or components or redo the pcb. Having three different VCFs is a way to try out three different "sounds".
Each module consumtions around 10-15mA (from each plus and minus), but I have a few modules with on-board +/-15V regulators, that must be dealt with. One way could've been to supply each module with separate regulators and just source a raw, but filtrated, DC-voltage suitable for the regulators.

I've got the Neutron QVCA and must say I am as scared as when I drew thru Estes Park and over the Rockies 10 years ago - all components smt .... but four VCA-channels ... YUMMI!

Love the color knobs! From the "Love my Switches?" online store?
I have ordered knobs and switches from them before, but they disappeared some time ago. Thanks for pointing out that they just seemed to have dropped the first word from their original name. Perhaps the PC police objected. For whatever reason they should have left the old web address active with a redirect to the new one.

Great idea!
I have been struggling with how to distribute power in my modular.
I just use #12 copper house wire threaded through terminal strips like those found in 60's TV sets.
I should call this project a cancer synth as it seems to grow uncontrolled. Whenever I find a cool module I either buy the pcb or components or redo the pcb.
My modular synth also seems to grow in an uncontrolled, and somewhat unplanned fashion. I am also thinking about redoing the case yet again to better house and power all the different sized modules. Most are eurorack modules, often selected based on whatever board and panel kit I find on sale somewhere. I recently did a module swap with a friend in Florida and the Behringer Brains that I ordered a year ago has arrived. I also have a few small synths that I designed and build, and one somewhat larger one. The MFOS Ultimate, and Ultimate Expander are nearing completion. I have a Tsynth that is finished, but unmounted, and a PROGUE board and panel kit about half built, but still waiting for some semiconductors. The case currently holds four Behringer synths which I may separate out into a different case with the MFOS stuff and my old "Blue" synth. That still leaves the Roland JV-880 that I bought new 30 years ago without a home. It is a sweet sounding rack mounted jewel from the past, but it is 14 inches deep not counting the MIDI cables sticking out of the back. That makes for a deep case.

I got some low buck SMPS's from Amazon to power everything. A Meanwell RS-50-5 makes 5 volts at 10 amps for all the digital 5 volt stuff. Some modules have on board LDO's for 3.3 volts. I got a pair of Meanwell LRS100-15's for +/- 15 volts at 7 amps for the 15 volt supplies with localized LDO's to make the 12 volt supplies.

A mountain banjo I made a while back. It’s made of cherry and walnut. It’s not loud which makes my wife happy.
B7F9099B-8930-416D-B16E-2E7C856C9275.jpeg

Reactions: 10 users
Stil has a little way to go...

I strung this up for the first time (to test the neck). It still needs the neck carved, the fretboard worked on , the nut worked on, the fret fitted, the body carved etc..

IMG_2039.jpg

IMG_2040.jpg

28.625" scale 7 string.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
DIY Fender and Ampeg Bass Preamp

IMG_5159.jpg

I have always wanted a way to compare the 2 preamp styles:

The Fender is the Alembic/Showman/TraceElliot V-type/ style with switchable V1 cathode bypass caps(1uF, 3uF, 47uF)

The Ampeg is the second channel of the B25

The tone stacks are separately assignable.

The choices are:

1- Fender preamp with Fender tone stack
2- Ampeg preamp with Ampeg tone stack
3- Fender preamp with Ampeg tone stack
4- Ampeg preamp with Fender tone stack

Also added is a switchable MOSFET buffer as the first stage (similar to Alembic F1x and V-type) which could be used for an effects loop.

Mid-boost switch on both tone stacks.

The output is done with a mu-follower (5814 tube) driving a Jensen lineout transformer. This feeds a balanced input of a Hypex 2500W power amp.

Another DI output driven by a MOSFET buffer to feed a external Jensen DBE box.

All film cap power supply with Jan Didden’s T-regv5 voltage regulator set to 320V.

Very quiet, NO hum, lots of punch

A lot of fun!

Reactions: 1 users