Possible enclosures for a Monacor SPH 60X

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
GM said:

4 Ohms draws more current for a given SPL, ergo Qes, Qts rises quicker, lowering the mass corner, so combined with proper pipe loading no BSC is required if the average SPL is high enough to keep the VC heated up enough. I know of at least one driver manufacturer that did this to good effect.

This assumes of course that the amp can handle the extra current required for 'fast' transients, which is often not the case even if it either has the taps or rated for it in marketing docs if no wattage rating is included (or at least that use to be the case).

GM

would using the 4ohm driver change the enclosure requirements or is it just a win-win situation (assuming the amp can handle it)?

giantstairs said:

would using the 4ohm driver change the enclosure requirements or is it just a win-win situation (assuming the amp can handle it)?

Depends on your performance goals. If you account for the VC heat rise as you should in a prosound app, then the cab will be larger/tuned lower and you'll need BSC if there's not enough boundary/room gain to offset it in a HIFI app.

GM

giantstairs said:
i just found this review of a speaker using a monacor 5inch driver, made right here in spain of all places:

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/passionsound/passion.html

it doesn't look like an mltl to me, probably more similar to the design in the above post

Straightforward BR. With an unfinished vent too, from the pictures.

however, in the second page of the review there is what looks to be a tall, wide mltl though i don't see the vent.

They tell you want it is. It's the Jordan VTL (or appears to be -plans freely available on the Jordan site) with the Monacor dropped into it. Can't honestly say I think the VTL is all that great -one of GM's MLTLs would be a better bet for the Jordans IMO, but YMMV as always. Cab's will be mirrored, with the terminus on the base of the main box. That's why they're raised above their plinth.

the review implied, as i understood it, that there is no filter used. i'm not sure how that enclosure with it's narrow baffle wouldn't need bsc.

It almost certainly will need correcting for step loss. Likelihood is that they haven't bothered.

n any case, it seems a full, satisfying and simple design is possible with the monacor 5 inchers.

Yes, providing you don't expect too much (like LF transient response equal to a 15in JBL or similar). I liked my BIB pipe-horns with them myself. For what they are, they did a nice job. SPH60X isn't great up-top; needs a supertweeter from about 10KHz upward. Compensates by being the best of the bunch in the LF. Swings & roundabouts, as always.

Scottmoose said:

They tell you want it is. It's the Jordan VTL (or appears to be -plans freely available on the Jordan site) with the Monacor dropped into it. Can't honestly say I think the VTL is all that great -one of GM's MLTLs would be a better bet for the Jordans IMO, but YMMV as always. Cab's will be mirrored, with the terminus on the base of the main box. That's why they're raised above their plinth.

oops, missed that. nice looking design though.

It almost certainly will need correcting for step loss. Likelihood is that they haven't bothered.

:confused: In the review they look well out from the walls and srajan should certainly recognize a need for bsc if there was such. it sounded as if the bass was quite good.

Yes, providing you don't expect too much (like LF transient response equal to a 15in JBL or similar).

well, that's neither here nor there because i don't think there are too many compact full rangers short of a 15in jbl that can pull that off.

I liked my BIB pipe-horns with them myself. For what they are, they did a nice job. SPH60X isn't great up-top; needs a supertweeter from about 10KHz upward. Compensates by being the best of the bunch in the LF. Swings & roundabouts, as always.

srajan seems to rate them quite highly and he is no stranger to nice sounding speakers. in the review he states they're in a different league from the hornshoppe horns which used fe108s and now fe126 drivers, some favorites around here.

perhaps the drivers are better served in this design than the bibs. i built a 2xfold bib with these for a friend and found them too dark for my taste but with much better bass than my 108ez bibs.

worth saying that i have no interest in these speakers except for the fact that i have 2 monacor sph60x drivers and would like a low investment (time and $) design with a high enjoyment factor, something these guys seemed to have pulled off.

giantstairs said:
:confused: In the review they look well out from the walls and srajan should certainly recognize a need for bsc if there was such. it sounded as if the bass was quite good.

Nothing to be confused about. A) Everything's relative, and B) People tend to make assumptions about what is & is not possible / realistic from a speaker. Remember, reviewers are reviewers. They don't often know, or care, a whole lot about the technicalities of design. Not denigrating reviewers, or Srajan, just pointing out a general fact. In addition, as most of their nearest equivalents don't bother correcting for step loss either, you just get used to it (assuming you realise what's happening anyway, rather than simply assuming that's what you get). Anyway, it will be fairly decent, but could be better if corrected. They're just drivers & conform to the laws of physics.

well, that's neither here nor there because i don't think there are too many compact full rangers short of a 15in jbl that can pull that off.

Perfectly true, but it's not quite neither here nor there, which is why I mentioned it in the first place. It's that old expectation thing: it can work both ways -too much or too little. Perspective is key & it's always worth pointing such things out. Obvious? Perhaps -problem with that is that the obvious is frequently overlooked.

srajan seems to rate them quite highly and he is no stranger to nice sounding speakers. in the review he states they're in a different league from the hornshoppe horns which used fe108s and now fe126 drivers, some favorites around here.

perhaps the drivers are better served in this design than the bibs. i built a 2xfold bib with these for a friend and found them too dark for my taste but with much better bass than my 108ez bibs.

worth saying that i have no interest in these speakers except for the fact that i have 2 monacor sph60x drivers and would like a low investment (time and $) design with a high enjoyment factor, something these guys seemed to have pulled off.

Then I'd model a basic BR for them (which is all those linked ones are) & build it. :) They should do nicely for what they are. Certainly be different from Ed's Horns, that's for sure. Beat them in some areas no doubt, loose out in others.

Irrespective of the cabinet, you'll still find them too 'dark' sounding, run solo though. That's just the driver -it simply doesn't have much HF -12KHz or so is about your lot. I added a couple of cheap tweeters I had lying around capped off at ~10Khz which sorted that out. Nice el cheapo system.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Scottmoose said:
It's the Jordan VTL (or appears to be -plans freely available on the Jordan site)

Attachments

• jordan-vtl-3d.gif
    jordan-vtl-3d.gif
    31.2 KB · Views: 593
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.