• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Positive/Negative Feedback

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Good evening all,

During my quest to eleminate the hum from my 6V6 amp, I have some how went from negative feedback to positive feedback. I did have to pull alot of stuff apart and put it back together.

It looks like I switched the wires going to the .1uF caps from the pre-amp tubes(pin 2&5 on the 6SL7)). Also I may have done the same thing on the back side of the caps.

I assume this could be the problem? If it is, I need to sit back and take a break. I have moved so much stuff trying to eliminate the hum, I am starting to make things harder on myself...:rolleyes:

Thanks in advanced....
Brian

Attachments

• 6SL7-6V6-Push-Pull-Tube-Amp-Schematic-pinouts.PNG
    6SL7-6V6-Push-Pull-Tube-Amp-Schematic-pinouts.PNG
    54.9 KB · Views: 319
I did swap the leads to the caps by accident when putting it back together... Oh well, another night of correcting mistakes...

Yes, it is missing a resistor. We addressed this in my other thread. I was just curious about how the feedback changed.

I'm still learning.

Thanks for the heads up...
Brian

Disabled Account
Joined 2004
Earlier post a bit sloppy. I have time now to explain it better. The 2,2k resistor bias the driver tube and also sets the feedback ratio. They saved one resistor. That's why 10k didn't make sense. Now, since your plate resistors are 100k this is what I'll do:

490 ohms resistor bypassed biasing the 6SL7. A little more current sounds better. 2.2k feedback resistor. I have tried this and it sounds GREAT. You can trust me as I have experimented with this type of circuit.

Disabled Account
Joined 2004
Interesting. " Low power high quality circuit which can be used to improve the quality of commercial amplifiers" :) Less 1% IM distortion. They didn't use it, at least I didn't find it in a Dynaco amp.

About the mosfets, if you do it please report results. I'm interested.

I did try the mosfets, but not with the paraphase splitter, I changed to a cathodyne which was no improvement over the paraphase. Then I added the mosfets and fixed bias, which was a night and day difference, big increase in clarity. This is the 2nd PP amp I have fitted mosfet followers to, same result both times, excellent.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.