Port to Passive Radiator conversion

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Have you any experience with Passive Radiators in speaker design and/or do you you any good sources I can read?

Decided to investigate the possibility of converting a ported reflex speaker to use a Passive Radiator element instead.

Is feasible? Will the deep bass efficiency be similar? What are the constraints/initiations?

The inside dimensions of the box are 623mm high x 198mm wide x 241mm deep. The inside is lined with lined with 13mm bituminised panels on all surfaces. The current steel port is 65mm wide 80 mm deep.

What are the guidelines for tuning the passive radiator to the cone motion and box?

The selection of locally available Passive radiators seems limited? I have so far only found the Peerless 830800 (8") which may be suitable to front mount with my 7" woofer. It is also reasonably priced.

/Roger

small passives typically have a rather high Fs and low Vas, which is opposite from what you want and results in a PR notch very close to tuning frequency and a sharp rolloff.

attached is a picture of the amplitude response of a Vifa P17WH with a small 8" PR made from a typical coil-less woofer. The Peak in maxSPL is at the tuning frequency, the notch is the free air resonance of the PR.

What I am trying to say, run the numbers in software before buying.

Attachments

• smallpr.gif
    smallpr.gif
    9.8 KB · Views: 204
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.