• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Pops and Hisses from garage sale...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I kinda wondered about the O/T transformer, but I think they's usually stick a 10 or 15 watt transformer under the chassie, it's a pretty small transformer. BTW, octal sockets liek the ones in this amp are the most prone to arking when they're old. I've repaired and redone many amps and other equipment that simply have bad sockets with loose and dirty pins.

Duo, no harm no foul. If Radio Shack still has the cleaner that sprays red it is I think made by Caig, my poison of choice for pot cleaning.
Kpanda, Tarnex is used to clean silverware, you can get it at the grocery store. It really is usefull for cleaning up miniture tubes since the tend to have silver plated copper pins. Your amp has all octals so windex should work as well as anything on the pins.

I was always fond of the malted with fried fish. Course I keep around 6 flavours for vinegrettes. Bet you didn't know I was in the fine wine and food business after studying Art at college. Kind of fits though, as it is all sensory like music is. Funny how you get from one place to another. Oh, I forgot sex fiend. I picked up on that about the same time as the art and music. The food and wine followed later.
I wish this audio stuff was as easy to learn as the sex was. Not quite the same motivation though. Just think where we would be if we had to pass a course on vacuum tubes before loosing our virginity. I think the school system needs revamping. If you knew that a great stereo, a fast car and fantastic sex was yours for the taking if you got good grades then at least the males would have better motivation.
Now here is how you work things if you are lucky. My wife really like Vivaldi's Summer from the Four Seasons. She gets excited during thunder storms. So I found a CD named Stratos that has Vivadi's Summer played with a thunderstorm in the back ground and used that as the reason we needed a really good system in the bedroom.
Is white vineagar on fried potatoes a Canadian thing? I hear they like mayonaise on hamburgers up there. Really?
No I didn't get wine with my dinner tonight, but I think I might find that Stratos CD.
Night Guys.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Thatch_Ear said:
Is white vineagar on fried potatoes a Canadian thing? I hear they like mayonaise on hamburgers up there. Really?

Could well be... on trips into the states the further i got from the border the stranger the looks i got when i asked for white vinegar until a time when none could be found.

I don't personally like mayo on my burgers, but it is common.

dave

planet10 said:

Could well be... on trips into the states the further i got from the border the stranger the looks i got when i asked for white vinegar until a time when none could be found.

I don't personally like mayo on my burgers, but it is common.

dave

I like them with an inch of mayo and pickles. :)

no ketchup/mustard though. I'm usually too lazy to special order though, so i eat normal burgers.

I used to put vinegar on my fries, but I kind of quit for some reason...

w00t! finished my first amp today. It sort of works :-/ (well there is alot of clipping unless I turn it up all the way.. My guitar cord is dead though, so thats part of it.)

If your amp clips until you turn it up, that's probably crossover distortion and not clipping cause you didn't bias it properly. Check the bias circuitry on the output transistors and see if everything is okay.

BTW, I think mayo on burgers may just be a Canadian thing, I love mayo on burgers.

Also, it was just a joke when I said vinegar was good for nothing but windows, it's good on fries too...

Duo said:
If your amp clips until you turn it up, that's probably crossover distortion and not clipping cause you didn't bias it properly. Check the bias circuitry on the output transistors and see if everything is okay.

BTW, I think mayo on burgers may just be a Canadian thing, I love mayo on burgers.

Also, it was just a joke when I said vinegar was good for nothing but windows, it's good on fries too...

hmmm.. its fixed bias ( the deal with the resistor & cap on the cathode, i forget the term right now).

There arent any transistors in it. (just a SE 6V6 for guitar).
[tube lineup: 6X5, 12AX7, 6V6]

The cathode bypass cap was supposed to be 25u/25v, but I put 100u/16v. I don't think that would cause this to happen, it would just mess with my freq. response.

I guess I could be overdriving it too, because the PT is 285-0-285, and then it goes through the filters (3x 10uF), So i'd probably end up with hmm.. 325v give or take, which would change the Z out. argh! (i think Z is 5K @250v. 6.6K @315v [max]. OPT is 5K.

Still, that shouldnt cause any clipping (well I dont know if clipping is the right word. theres slightly audiable guitar, w/ heavy cracks and pops over that. as soon as you turn it up all the way, it looses most of the pops and cracks, and gains alot of volume.

sorry for hijackin' the thread :(

Well...heres an update for that amp i got.... the bell sound systems 2122-c. I opened it up and WHOA!!! its a mess in there, caps, resistors, wires. I thought it would be all on a nice circuit board. I guess not. I cleaned out the tube pins and the sockets with tv tuner cleaner and a toothbrush, and it still pops and hisses, I guess my next step is to change out the resistors and capacitors. Should i use the existing wire again or change them out? Is there any special wire, or solder, i was planning to use radio shack solder, and can i use flux?

OH... thanks for all these tips on vineger, I'll be sure to try them on fries when i get the chance, i never thought of that application. I only use it on fish my self, and making baking soda volcanos.

Thanks

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
kpanda said:
its a mess in there, caps, resistors, wires. I thought it would be all on a nice circuit board. I guess not.

Typlical of construction of the day.

Should i use the existing wire again or change them out? Is there any special wire, or solder, i was planning to use radio shack solder, and can i use flux?

I use 30g Radio Shack wire wrap wire, or 24 g Cat 5 strands depending on how fiddly (skinnier wire is harder to work with) i feel like tackling.

OH... thanks for all these tips on vineger, I'll be sure to try them on fries when i get the chance, i never thought of that application. I only use it on fish my self, and making baking soda volcanos.

I wonder if white vinegar on chips is a British Commonwealth thing... any comments from the UK? I always felt vinegar on fish was a distant 2nd to fresh lemons.

dave

I would leave as many of the old resistors as possible (assuming they are still within 10% of their rated spec) but change out all high voltage capacitors. (especially the small <0.1 uF 400V variety.) I think if you just replace all the components, you risk losing "tone".

As for wire and solder, dont worry too much, old solder joints in good condition are perfectly fine. However once you have replaced everything you want to replace, you might want to really CLOSELY inspect every solder joint, with a magnifying glass even, I had a dry joint on my amp which caused it to pop and click too. (it was a resistor connected to a filter cap)

You might be able to keep the can caps, if the amp doesnt hum too much their prolly ok.

good luck! :D

PS vinegar on chips = mmmmm
definitely a brit thing, adopted by us colonies...

I had a baking soda/vineagar rocket when I was a kid. The wire in there should be good. If it looks like it needs replacing in spots use solid copper. The only stranded wire in the amp should be in the transformer leads. Do not use acid core solder. Rosin core is fluxed.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.