Pop/click free HW-based relay attenuator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It is almost 3 years since I released V1 of this attenuator and 2 years since I mentioned making a V2 of it.

V2 will be ready in 3-4 weeks, I am done doing the layout, just need to make the Gerbers, order PCB's, components, assemble a board and do some testing.

The design is very close to the original but with some necessary changes/improvements.

Some info :

127 x 0.6 dB steps for an attenuation range of 0 to -76dB

10K impedance.

Onboard regulators, 5VDC for the digital logic and 5VDC for the relays.

A size of 150mm x 40mm.

Made a few improvements to the digital logic and a few bug fixes.

When I have more to show a new thread will be opened.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I still don't fully understand why a single potentiometer couldn't control two (or more) boards. Referring to the schematic attached to post #1, the control potentiometer (say 10k) is connected across the attachment points X3-3 and X3-1, with the wiper connected at X3-2. Point X3-2 goes into VIN+ of IC1.

Why can't a second attenuator board have a 10k resistor from X3-3 to X3-1, and have X3-2 connected to X3-2 of the first board (wiper of the only pot)? If interaction of the VIN+ pins of two boards would be a problem, could a DC coupled unity gain buffer isolate the pins?

I still don't fully understand why a single potentiometer couldn't control two (or more) boards. Referring to the schematic attached to post #1, the control potentiometer (say 10k) is connected across the attachment points X3-3 and X3-1, with the wiper connected at X3-2. Point X3-2 goes into VIN+ of IC1.

Why can't a second attenuator board have a 10k resistor from X3-3 to X3-1, and have X3-2 connected to X3-2 of the first board (wiper of the only pot)? If interaction of the VIN+ pins of two boards would be a problem, could a DC coupled unity gain buffer isolate the pins?

The way this board works, that is sadly not an option.

It could be done but require adding a 9 pin connector to the board and then have a smaller addon board that connects to the master board.

However, since I am limited to a size of 150 mm x 40 mm I really dont have the extra space for it, though I guess I could look into it some more. I had a colleague at work who asked me to make it possible to use it for balanced signals so you are not the only one that wants that option. :)

I also would like to see a balanced version.

/S.

It could be done but require adding a 9 pin connector to the board and then have a smaller addon board that connects to the master board.

However, since I am limited to a size of 150 mm x 40 mm I really dont have the extra space for it, though I guess I could look into it some more. I had a colleague at work who asked me to make it possible to use it for balanced signals so you are not the only one that wants that option. :)

It is not going to happen, V2 will be singleended only.

I just do not see the value in it. Balanced signals is great between equipment but internally I believe that singleended is the way to go.

A small preview. :)

Attachments

• RA V2 Preview.png
    RA V2 Preview.png
    35.4 KB · Views: 457
PCB's were delivered yesterday, components will be ordered tomorrow.

I should have something to show sometime next week. :)

It took some time but it is finally done!

It had just 1 problem first time I turned it on, it didn't bloody work. :confused:

However the ULN2003 relay driver was getting pretty hot and there was 5 Volt at all outputs with the volume turned all the way down or all the way up. Turned out I made a schematic error, the ULN2003 Relay Driver should have PIN 8 GND connected to GND and PIN 9 COMMON connected 5V used for the relays. I had them switched on the schematic and therefore also on the board.

Luckily I just had to lift the PIN 8 GND and PIN 9 Common legs and sold them to the right connections, by using 2 clipped off and correctly bent legs from a LED and it worked. :D

Anyway now that it works I can safely say everything I wanted to achieve with V2 has been achieved. V1 could be a little unstable at times, relays going into constant chatter mode requiring you to turn the pot a little.

The changes I made in V2 removes this error mode, if it does happen and the POT voltage is just between 2 steps the relays stop changing state after between 1 or 2 relay cycles, that is 10 ms and 20 ms respectively and then it will stay 100% stable until you touch the volume control again.

All in all, I am very happy. :cool:

Last edited:
Sorry for the cappy pictures, I am still not much of a photographer.

Picture 1 is the whole board in its full glory in my test setup.

Picture 2 is a closer look at the change I had to make on the ULN2003 Relay Driver.

Attachments

• Boardfull.jpg
    Boardfull.jpg
    424.4 KB · Views: 294
  • Closeup.jpg
    Closeup.jpg
    463.8 KB · Views: 284
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.