Poorly Onix OA20

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've had my Onix OA20 (80678) for years now. I've heard all sorts of other stuff, but find it hard to move to anything else that I can afford.

Last night, the amp died. I opened up the back to check the mains fuse, which had blown (the one by the transformer). I've just replaced this and its blown instantly. Can anybody give me any clues on what to do...or do I need to search around for a engineer? I'd be genuinely gutted to write this amp off - we've shared some great times with SRV together.

Another quick question, what phono stage would anybody recommend to use with the Onix and an LP12 with an Ortofon MC15 Super (MC)? Other components are IMF Super Compact 2 speakers (or Kef Coda 7's, depending on mood).

Many thanks for any help...Mat

Hope that you got this fixed - I just checked an my OA20 is serial 1248..

J

I've had my Onix OA20 (80678) for years now. I've heard all sorts of other stuff, but find it hard to move to anything else that I can afford.

Last night, the amp died. I opened up the back to check the mains fuse, which had blown (the one by the transformer). I've just replaced this and its blown instantly. Can anybody give me any clues on what to do...or do I need to search around for a engineer? I'd be genuinely gutted to write this amp off - we've shared some great times with SRV together.

Another quick question, what phono stage would anybody recommend to use with the Onix and an LP12 with an Ortofon MC15 Super (MC)? Other components are IMF Super Compact 2 speakers (or Kef Coda 7's, depending on mood).

Many thanks for any help...Mat

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Some quick checks using a DVM on ohms before getting "technical".

1. Locate the output transistors and check them all to see if any short circuit.

2. Measure across the main supply capacitors and see if reads short... if yes most likely failed output transistors or short circuit rectifier.

3. If you can't find any shorts, disconnect all the secondary windings and see if fuse blows... if it does the transformer is faulty.

4. Just possible that the amp may use a mains filter capacitor directly across the live and neutral... check to see not short circuit.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.