• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Poor soundstage with SET 300B

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It sounds like you're onto the clipping problem with the OPT primary impedance. This could impact the soundstage also I guess.

While you're in the investigative mode, I think it would be interesting to try LED or other diode bias on the 5842, replacing the resistor and bypass cap. It would be interesting to see in particular what impact this has on the soundstage definition.

Cheers,

Michael

He has grid stoppers. R31 and R32. They are just absent from the schematic but you can see them in the parts list and the build instructions. In fact, he recommends increasing their size from the specified 1k to 4.7k and even using carbon comp. Apparently some people were having issues with oscillation.

Partridge TK 4519 with 2.3K primary.

2.3 kOhm sounds a tad on the low side for a 300B. I think most people use about 3k for higher power (at the expense of higher THD) and 5k for lower THD (at the expense of power).

I use transformers with a primary that measures out to 4.2 kOhm, 375 V B+, 60 mA cathode current. I get about 6.6 W @ 3 % THD+N (midband).

I'd try running off of the 16-ohm winding. I seem to recall that you tried that already. Did that improve the sound stage?

I notice that you're using 7 kOhm as the plate load on the 5842. That sounds like a rather heavy load... I suggest running the 5842 'cooler' (I run mine at 8~12 mA). If you want any hope of getting any appreciable gain out of the 5842, I suggest using a current source (IXYS 10M45 is a popular one) or gyrator.
If you don't like sand in your glass, you could also dial the current way down (a few mA) and increase the plate load.

From what I've heard (I read it on the internet so it must be true!), the perception of sound stage is mostly related to the power response of the amp. I.e. does the output amplitude increase linearly when the input amplitude is increased linearly. My guess is that your input stage runs out of gas rather early.

~Tom

Last edited:
TubeLab has no grid stopper resistors at the 5842 in his TubelabSE design. Are there any drawbacks using grid stoppers?

I use a Lundahl LL1623 as output transformer in my TubelabSE amplifier. The LL1623 is strapped for 6 kohm primary load impedance. The 300b runs att B+ 425 V 80mA and the 5842 at 180V 10 mA. I then get 8 W over 16 ohm before clipping. I really like the Lundahl OT, I think they sounds great:)

I have the same oppinion on the Lundahl transformers. I used quite a few interstages and some output transformers and I think they are by far the best quality for the price, and sometimes better than some "top-of-the-range trafos independently of the price. Thay are also very flexible, and you can try various versions with the same trafo. Shame the casing is not very DIY friendly.

Look at this link for how to measure your OPT.
Output Transformer Impedance

I made the measurements. Could you please check and tell me if and how I can wire for 2 Ohms just to try?
- Just cabling all secondaries in parallel, I guess. I will try that.

Spec:trans - image / photo - Image perso - Hiboox

There is not a "2 ohm" connection option.

Wiring all secondaries in parallel will result in a "1 ohm" connection. Connecting an 8 ohm speaker to this would reflect about 19K ohms to the primary.

The impedance ratio of the 2 connections you show is not exactly 2:1 but rather 9:4.

It looks to me like using an 8 ohm speaker on the "4 ohm" connection results in about 4800 ohms relected to the primary, which is probably optimimum for your circuit.

I'm not sure how much primary inductance a 2K OPT would have for a 300B. Is the bass acceptable at his point?

Michael

Hi Jeepy ,

I see another item in the schematic which could be tweaked :
the filament transformer for the 300B is in the signal-path , I've the experience that using two low-value resistors in series over the filament and connect the cathode-resistor parallel with decoupling capacitor to the connection of both resistors is sonically better. This removes the filament transformer and it's noise from the signal-path.
Another small capacitor ( 1 to 2,2 uF ) from top of OPT to pos. side of the decoupling capacitor will too enhance resolution.

grtz

Bouquet

Thank you,
You are right, the sound is pretty good using the 4 ohms output and 6 W is more than I need today. I am still missing the 2d half of the third dimension but I may be a maniac. Hower this is something that I have with the 'cheap' solid state amp.
For everything else with the small full range the amps sound much better.
I'm just finishing the led bias of the first stage, rearranged ground cabling (star instead of bus type), increased the driver load to 10K, changed the coupling cap for a 'vintage' Shizuki PP 0.47. I hope I will hear something a bit different, then come back step by step if any change.
Cheers,

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.