• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Poor man's transformer volume control?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
if you can get someone to wind this for you...
this is Tony's TVC, core is EI 3/4 inch,
magnet wire is #38 awg on a 3/4 x 3/4 inch bobbin..
22 position rotary switch to select taps..

Attachments

• tvc_3423.JPG
    tvc_3423.JPG
    815.9 KB · Views: 708
You really don't want to wind an autoformer in a straight linear manner. The capacitance will kill the high frequencies. It needs to be interleaved and balanced. I don't have an example on this current computer. However, later today I will try to post a picture of what I'm talking about.

Hi all so what you saying is a TVC is the way to go with passive preamps and not a resistor attenuator,
I have played with a stepped resistor type and sound was nice but sounded so much better when it got to infinity!!! Or total buy pass 0db but as you no that is way to much volume be nice to have that sound in all volume steps!

Hi!

I am a big friend of TVCs or AVCs. But I would not recommend them in a passive pre unless you are sure that all your sources can drive the inductive load of a TVC well.

From my experience and listening tests from many people I know, some sources can sound rather mediocre when loaded by a TVC even if they claim low output impedance.

So for a passive pre I'd rather recommend a resistive volume control. If you want to use a TVC, design a proper buffer stage around it which drives it with low impedance and presents an easy load to your sources.

Best regards

Thomas

I have found wirewound pots to sound excellent at a modest price. much better than the ALPS black pots they replaced. I even got a good quality quad gang wire wound 10K pot for a PP balanced preamp for about €50.00, absolutely brilliant build quality and gang matching.

The only down side is they are linear, but at the 12'oclock to 3'oclock range they function fairly much the same and that is where most of the time they spend their life.

Shoog

i am using a dual bay bobbin to cut capacitance in half...

Using a dual bobbin does reduce capacitance. However, it doesn't distribute the capacitance evenly. If you interleave the autoformer windings and balance them like in the attached diagram you will have consistent high frequency behavior at every tap.

Attachments

• Autoformer windings.jpg
    Autoformer windings.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 463
Hi
If I start to add buffers to a TVC or AVC tell if I'm rong but isn't that starting to get into the active preamps and going a way from passive a little? As I do fine that a good CD player has around 2v of output and my amp with 1.29v input to power it at 135w. I have had 2 or 3 different active pre's hooked up and found that all had way to much gain and just sent amp into clipping at about 2'oclook. So makes you think y put one in the signal path?
Isn't it best to keep signal path to a minimum? So what to do a TVC or a AVC or even a good wire wound pot got to worry about channel matching with pots.
And thanks to all of you that have posted on this subject!

Hi!

If I start to add buffers to a TVC or AVC tell if I'm rong but isn't that starting to get into the active preamps and going a way from passive a little?

Yes, not just a little, that would be an active preamp.

As I do fine that a good CD player has around 2v of output and my amp with 1.29v input to power it at 135w. I have had 2 or 3 different active pre's hooked up and found that all had way to much gain and just sent amp into clipping at about 2'oclook. So makes you think y put one in the signal path?

Most systems have this problem of too much gain. You can design the active stage to have as much or little gain as you need. For example a 26 stage (if you want to go fancy with DHTs) into a 5.6:1 step down (Lundahl LL2745) will provide about 3dB gain, which is very little.

Isn't it best to keep signal path to a minimum?

This is not always the best. Keep it simple, but not too simple.

While a purely passive TVC will work. In my experience an active pre will work better in most cases. It reliefs the sources from the burden to drive the inductance of a TVC.

Best regards

Thomas

tbh, i never built this as my hand can not handle the wire size and several attempts i made ended up in failure, i asked my friends to make one for themselves and they liked it...if you can work on such small wires, then go ahead..

yes two bay bobbins ca be used...

M6 cores worked best here...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.