PonoPlayer -- What the..??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yawn. Debates about proving that you can or can't hear differences are fundamentally uninteresting to me.

Considering your yawn, then need to defend your point of view seems to have woken you up...

just say that even if my enjoyment of hi-rez music is completely delusional then it's worth the extra few $ per album for the fake emotional value.
"Completely delusional" are your words.

While 44.1/16 is theoretically sufficient for playback
Even more sufficient in practice.

So how do I get my hands on a carefully re-mastered 44.1/16 recording, with the appropriate dither that's needed to deliver the theoretical distortion level, and mastered by someone who cares about the sound quality? The value of hi-rez as a delivery mechanism could simply be because it is easier to not screw up the mastering.
No, the mastering is just as easy to screw up. Nothing is guaranteeing the "hi-res" is any better mastered, and the only way the hi-res format could make a bad mastering better is if the mastering was way too quiet - with loudness wars, what is the likelihood of that?

If you don't know what I mean about the emotional impact of good vinyl playback then I can't help you. Sorry you haven't ever heard it.
I have heard far too much vinyl - if you get pleasure out of a limited dynamic range, reduced stereo separation, horrible noise and distortion levels and wow& flutter, then good for you!

I'm sure you could get your music collection on your 256GB of storage if you dropped to 32kb/s MP3. Have you tried a blind test to prove you can hear the difference?
Of course. I have a pretty decent system in my car, and usually the audible differences disappear somewhere between 128 and 192 K.

We will have to agree to disagree about Neil Young's impact.
No, we will just have to wait and see.

I think record label power is disappearing rapidly; declining digital sales plus internet disintermediation is putting the control back in the hands of the artists. More and more of them are opting for direct distribution. Why do they even need a record company any more? Lorde went to worldwide #1 by starting on SoundCloud.
In hi-res, I assume? :)

The article you linked actually supports what I'm saying in that it's going to take both artists pushing and a larger hi-rez market pulling for this to change. Neil Young and Pono MAY be the catalyst for that.
Ah, an old rock star shedding his ideals and selling out, making money on a scam, is inspiring other musicians to do the same? Quite possible.

Pono offers me a way to have a portable, hi-rez music experience for about what I paid for an old click-wheel iPod many years ago.

What's wrong with that?
Perhaps the fact that you can have the same experience using a $25 player, and music that is half the price of the so-called "hi-res"?

Oh well, I am sure you are happy to pay $5 for a bottle of bottled tibetan mountain water too.

Neil has been working on this literally for years. I remember reading an article a number of years ago where he and Steve Jobs were working on a variation of something like this. Then Jobs died and it tossed a wrench into the works... To Neil's credit, he's kept pushing and at least we have something.

I think the Jobs thing is a popular myth. I don't think it was ever confirmed - but then again, Jobs knew the power of marketing, so who knows.

My view is I will support it because in all likelihood it will smoke the majority of the other options sonically. Will the competition release something better? Of course...
Well, funny enough, they already have, while pono isn't shipping yet.

But if this helps the mainstream public rediscover what decent hifi sounds like then I'm all for it.
But if pono turns out to be the same upsampled CD material and re-recordings of 30 year old analog tapes as what HDTracks et al are already offering, there might be a bad backlash - and it is preventing us from addressing stuff that really matters (basically bad recordings).

There is another thread here on DIYAudio where Pono has been discussed at length.
Indeed.

Considering your yawn, then need to defend your point of view seems to have woken you up...

"Completely delusional" are your words.

Even more sufficient in practice.

No, the mastering is just as easy to screw up. Nothing is guaranteeing the "hi-res" is any better mastered, and the only way the hi-res format could make a bad mastering better is if the mastering was way too quiet - with loudness wars, what is the likelihood of that?

I have heard far too much vinyl - if you get pleasure out of a limited dynamic range, reduced stereo separation, horrible noise and distortion levels and wow& flutter, then good for you!

Of course. I have a pretty decent system in my car, and usually the audible differences disappear somewhere between 128 and 192 K.

No, we will just have to wait and see.

In hi-res, I assume? :)

Ah, an old rock star shedding his ideals and selling out, making money on a scam, is inspiring other musicians to do the same? Quite possible.

Perhaps the fact that you can have the same experience using a $25 player, and music that is half the price of the so-called "hi-res"?

Oh well, I am sure you are happy to pay $5 for a bottle of bottled tibetan mountain water too.

Julf,

It's interesting that you don't actually respond to my points, but simply repeat a worn-out talking point. Perhaps that's your idea of a good time.

Here's my summary of what you are saying; please tell me if I got anything wrong:

Anything better than MP3 or CD quality is a scam since it offers no audible improvement. In fact, we don't even need CD quality.
Vinyl has nothing to offer musically, since it is just added noise and distortion.
Neil young is a scammer for trying to advocate for hi-rez digital distribution and doesn't really believe it sounds better.
Nobody in the music business has any interest in better sound.
Anyone who spends $300 on a Pono player is a sucker.
The analogue stage designed by Charles Hansen at Ayre won't make a difference either.
Maximum available sound quality can be achieved with a $25 player and lossy downloaded music.

Did I miss anything?

Peter

Last edited:
Wow, that was an interesting reading of what I wrote!

Anything better than MP3 or CD quality is a scam since it offers no audible improvement. In fact, we don't even need CD quality.

I don't need better than MP3 *in a car*. At home there is no reason not to use lossless, but "hi-res" doesn't offer any benefit over CD quality (and in fact many recordings sold as "hi-res" have turned out to be conversions from 44.1/16.

Vinyl has nothing to offer musically, since it is just added noise and distortion.
The noise and distortion (as well as compression and other processing added at the mastering stage to accommodate the limitations of vinyl) might well enhance the music. That depends on the preferences of the listener.

Neil young is a scammer for trying to advocate for hi-rez digital distribution and doesn't really believe it sounds better.
It is quite possible that he himself believes it sounds better, but it is clear that some of the artists quoted in the advertising videos are not talking about hi-res, but comparing the studio sound to mp3's on a mobile device.

Nobody in the music business has any interest in better sound.
Lots of people in the music business have an interest in better sound. Unfortunately the people making the business decisions for the major labels don't.

Anyone who spends $300 on a Pono player is a sucker.
Not a sucker, just a me-too hipster. But that is a valid lifestyle choice...

The analogue stage designed by Charles Hansen at Ayre won't make a difference either.
We don't know that before we hear the end result. The name of a designer doesn't guarantee a good result.

Maximum available sound quality can be achieved with a $25 player and lossy downloaded music.
The music quality achieved by a good $25 player is hard to improve on using headsets in mobile conditions.

Where did I mention "lossy downloaded music"?

Hi,

Julf, it seems we are not far apart, but hey come on ..... do You really think that the technical side is a problem??
Its certainly no prob to design a well enough sounding portable device.

As I said before the real problem lies in the handling of the device.
If I need to go through complicated and multiple press button-actions, if I can´t find my music within say 5 seconds -or in extreme not at all(!), than the handling becomes annoying and it spoils all the fun one could have with such a device, regardless of its sound qualities.
Interestingly no words are lost by Pono about this most important parameter.

jauu
Calvin

ps: In the linked video the device pops up just once(!) around 4:40 -rather looking like a mockup than a functioning device:
So, what sound quality are the people in the video talking about????
Certainly not that of the Pono-device.
For me the Pono just prooves the old saying that ´a fool and his money will soon be departed´ :rolleyes:

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
As I said before the real problem lies in the handling of the device.
If I need to go through complicated and multiple press button-actions, if I can´t find my music within say 5 seconds -or in extreme not at all(!), than the handling becomes annoying and it spoils all the fun one could have with such a device, regardless of its sound qualities.
Interestingly no words are lost by Pono about this most important parameter.

... which is of course exactly the area where the various Apple device excell!

Jan

hey come on ..... do You really think that the technical side is a problem??

No, of course not. The technical problems have been solved long ago.

Its certainly no prob to design a well enough sounding portable device.

I agree.

So, what sound quality are the people in the video talking about????
Certainly not that of the Pono-device.
For me the Pono just prooves the old saying that ´a fool and his money will soon be departed´

Exactly.

Would you care to provide any proof to your opinion ?

I could, once again, but this time I actually won't. I actually think it is the ones that make claims that go against well-proven, accepted scientific and engineering knowledge and practice that should be required to prove the point, instead of the engineers constantly being asked to prove, over and over again, that the earth is not flat.

And why would they be needed ? If we accept that the future of music distribution are files you download, what would be a good reason to truncate and down sample them first ?

The fact that the useless 70% of extra bandwidth and storage space is not needed once you have normalized the level so that you don't need (and can't use) the extra headroom (that was handy when recording)?

Why sell wine in 0.75 l bottles, when you could sell it in 2.5 l bottles with 1.75 l of air in them?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.