Polyfill or Blue?

Hey everyone - getting close to having my cabinets finished (18" Bass / Mid-bass up to 388hz) in a 2 way system.

These are bandpass enclosures that GSG Audio custom cut for my woofers and application (MBM) with a single slot port.

They have incredible bracing - but I'm trying to decide on either polyfill (don't want lots of loose filling), or something like this
along the back wall behind the woofer:

https://www.parts-express.com/Sonic...0mm-x-40-x-55-15.2-Sq.-ft.-260-566?quantity=1

The enclosure is approximately 5.75cu ft, which is right in line for mid-bass performance for the 18" driver from Acoustic Elegance,

https://aespeakers.com/shop/td/td18h/

A couple questions - I like the Acousta-Blue at first glance - easy to work with, neat, will look professional when applied.

Will it increase the apparent "cu ft" of the enclosure as polyfil will, or will it reduce it?

The AE Speakers link shows cu ft for mid-bass is 2-3 cf, and for bass is 4-8cf.

I have some playing around to do and testing, just wondering what everyone's opinions are.

System is a 2-way with a 22" Circular Horn mated to a 7" (5" VC) Compression Driver crossed at 388hz. Already ran the tests with REW and UMIK1 and 388 was the sweet spot for the compression driver and horn.

Now we are just waiting for the Acoustic Elegance woofers and finishing the bass / mid bass cabinets.

Thanks in advance!

I have the room completely treated, diffusers, acoustic panels, corner bass traps as appropriate. I get all of that. I'm replacing my Klipsch RF-7III speakers with custom built DIY. I'm looking for advice on what to fill the bare-MDF cabinet with to optimize the sound quality. Joseph Crowe recommends just polyfil, however the only polyfil I see is in pieces and I am nervous about using something that is in tiny pieces that could fly around with pressure waves. His recommendation was something to eliminate rear wall reflection in the cabinet - which is what I'm looking for.

I’ve found that good old fiberglass is the best by far. If you are worried about it flying around you can cover it with speaker grill cloth or make pillows. Speaker Builder did a study on it back in the 90’s.

Next up is wool. The problem is finding good long fiber wool material, much of the upholstery or underlayment materials are polyester, polypropylene or other manmade plastics that don’t work as well as natural wool. Wool is easy to work with and comes in sheets so it won’t float around. Depending on your climate you might need to treat it with insecticide.

Reactions: 1 user