Polk Audio PSW10 worth it?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Modding your Tripath will not help much if your speakers lack bass. Always address the cause first. Otherwise, you'll be spending time and money unnecessarily.

By the way, new speakers need to be "run-in". They sound very "Raw" out of the box. Play music for a few days to work the suspension in. You'll get better bass and smoother highs after that. It's quite noticeable.

Oh.. that's true.. can't wait for the price to go down on amazon.. and yea i've heard something about burning in speakers.. one curious question, will speaker wires burn in too?

no wire is wire,

Driver "break-in" takes very little time ~25 min. breaking in a driver is just loosening the resin on the spider. It's stiff when it's new because it's just been sprayed on and never worked back and forth. You stretch it out at low spl levels for half hour and it will last longer than fast hard motion at first because too much too soon will break the spiders fibers while trying to shed the excess resin.

Last edited:
Michael,
The multi-day break-in thing is a element of Psychoacoustics, basically getting used to the new sound. I've done the measurement tests, after about 1/2 hour of low SPL music the driver sounds the same at one hour as it does at 20 hours. Although... drivers do continue to loosen over the life of the driver and will sound loose/dull before falling apart. Which is why I think people who get new drivers to replace old worn out drivers notice "harshness/crispness" which they have to get used to.

It all depends on the driver. A well run in driver will have a lower Fs than the same speaker new out of the box.

Some drivers need quite a bit of time for the Fs to settle. What you typically see is some sort of bounce back. After a period of excitation, the Fs often drops more than 10-15%, as compared to the new state. But, after letting the driver rest for a while, the Fs will rise again, as if the suspension has some sort of memory effect. It may take quite some time before this effect disappears.

$99 DIY plate amps

A bit of a warning with the inexpensive stuff, the amplifiers notoriously stop working, the auto-on is typically a problem (a power strip may be an easy fix).
I’ve been though a few of the $99 DIY plate amps; circuits burned out, etc. I pulled one out that was in use for a couple of years, it still works but it looks terrible, like it is 20 years old. It was over my friend’s house, and they keep the volume very low.
I use typical stereo amps for bass (the processor has a 40, 80 or 120hz crossover), sometimes bridging the amp mono.

I've got this PSW10 hooked up to my system right now, supporting my Seas ER18RNX 2-way.

I'm using it to add a little bit of weight to the lower bass (below 80Hz). Good value for money and very convenient. Can't play very loud though, only 50Watts Continuous (100Watts peak). Not really an issue for me as I don't listen to my music loud.

If you want more power, check out these Subs at Parts Express. There's a sale on right now. There's no indication of whether the power is Peak or Continuous. I noticed one big difference is in the crossover. The Dayton goes down to 40Hz whereas the PSW10 lowest is 80Hz.

Dayton 10" Active SUB
Dayton SUB-100 10" 125 Watt Powered Subwoofer

Dayton 12" Active SUB
Dayton SUB-120 12" 150 Watt Powered Subwoofer

Whether the PSW10 is worth the money really depends on your expectations.

Thanks for the heads up. I must be lucky. I have the PSW10 on 24/7 on auto for more than 6 months. So far, it's still alive.

Should it decide to die on me, it's not a problem. I've got plenty of backups. There are at least 5 electronic crossovers on my shelf. And being a designer, there are a lot of high powered amps in my lab.

I don't normally use this PSW10. I actually bought it for evaluation. I wanted to see what a budget sub is capable of. A few of my subs are in the picture. A Push/Pull, a BandPass and a Sealed. There are more speakers and subs out of frame. I really need a bigger space.

Attachments

• SUBS1.jpg
    SUBS1.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 75
no wire is wire,

Driver "break-in" takes very little time ~25 min. breaking in a driver is just loosening the resin on the spider. It's stiff when it's new because it's just been sprayed on and never worked back and forth. You stretch it out at low spl levels for half hour and it will last longer than fast hard motion at first because too much too soon will break the spiders fibers while trying to shed the excess resin.

I see.. i can tell that my speaker is not as crisp as the day i got them.. and i kinda like how it sounds out of the box hah..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.