Polarized electrolytics in crossover networks?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Caps in series doubles the voltage.

He could connect two 200uf caps negative sides together and use it. The caps could be 50v a piece and he'd be good for 100w.

In this case of polarized electroylitcs, when wired in series with negative to negative one of the electrolytics will be reversed biased for one half of the sinewave cycle. So the properly biased electrolytic must sustain the charging voltage by itself as the other is effectively is a short circuit for that half cycle.

With other capacitor types in a similar combination that does not use polarized capacitors, the working voltage will be additive.

C.M

I'm writing it the third time: There ain't no two back-to-back electrolytics in the high pass section of each channel's x-over, there is just a single polarized 100µF one. That's what is really puzzling me.

Do the math: 100µF fits well to the stated x-over frequency of 400 Hz @ 4 ohms.

Best regards!

Sorry, I incorrectly wrote 50uF non-polar with 100v (working volts), it should have been 100uF non-polar 100v (working volts) for each channel's high-pass cap.

C.M

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.