• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

PMillett Landfall heatsink

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I would be interested to know if the Landfall heatsink "rod section" will fit through an existing octal socket chassis hole?
That would seem to be the most useful, as most of us have chassis punches/drills that size.

NEW INFO

Yes, we now have a way to do that. We can make a spacer to fit any size hole and have made one for a 1-1/8 inch octal socket hole and another for a 1-1/2 inch hole. Here are some images of the hole sets you'll need to make. I did these by hand instead of "cheating" with the CNC router.

Attachments

• 1.5 1 cutout.jpg
    1.5 1 cutout.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 195
  • 1.125 1 cutout.jpg
    1.125 1 cutout.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 193
Here are pictures of the channel and heatsink with spacer for a 1-1/8 inch hole mounted in a scrap piece of our chassis material. You can see how the channel is attached to the chassis and the heatsink to the channel. Just use heat transfer compound on the surfaces of the spacer and channel before you screw them together. The octal socket is shown for reference so you can get a scale of the whole thing. The spacer attached to the bottom of the heatsink is just barely larger than the octal socket.

Attachments

• 1.125 7.jpg
    1.125 7.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 75
  • 1.125 6.jpg
    1.125 6.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 67
  • 1.125 5.jpg
    1.125 5.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 70
  • 1.125 4.jpg
    1.125 4.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 181
  • 1.125 3.jpg
    1.125 3.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 175
  • 1.125 2.jpg
    1.125 2.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 170
And here are pictures of the pieces for the 1-1/2 inch hole. We didn't attach the spacer to the heatsink since it is permanent, but you can still see how they go together.

Attachments

• 1.5 8.jpg
    1.5 8.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 36
  • 1.5 7.jpg
    1.5 7.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 41
  • 1.5 6.jpg
    1.5 6.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 35
  • 1.5 5.jpg
    1.5 5.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 35
  • 1.5 4.jpg
    1.5 4.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 39
  • 1.5 3.jpg
    1.5 3.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 30
  • 1.5 2.jpg
    1.5 2.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 59
  • 1.5 9.jpg
    1.5 9.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 51
So, does this seem like a good idea?

The spacer to fit an octal socket hole seems to make sense, but can most of you make larger holes? Any input for common sizes of punches or hole cutters that you use would be greatly appreciated.

We made these holes with Klein carbide tipped hole cutters. Blair Rotabroach cutters come in these sizes too. I believe both of these are also common for punches. However, I have no idea what sizes are common for metric tools.

I just took one of your pinned heatsinks and glued it to the top of my chassis with the Loctite, with the hot component (DHT filament supply) attached to the other side of the chassis. The chassis alone was getting too hot but adding the pinned heatsink to it knocked the temp down several degrees to where it should be fine.

I just took one of your pinned heatsinks and glued it to the top of my chassis with the Loctite, with the hot component (DHT filament supply) attached to the other side of the chassis. The chassis alone was getting too hot but adding the pinned heatsink to it knocked the temp down several degrees to where it should be fine.

Sure would be nice if you could buy the Loctite in small (cheap) squeeze packs for one-time use, it's great stuff. We couldn't make these without it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.