plywood joins

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Re: Some more two cents

mwmkravchenko said:
To much pressure and you squeeze out all the glue and have a very weak bond. Good mating of the surfaces is what is really required. And enough pressure to keep them well mated.

Hi Mark,
Nearly impossible to apply too much pressure with traditional woodworking clamps. A mistake many make is assuming all of the glue squeezes out - not so. Proper clamping with adequate force squeezes the glue into the wood fibres and creates the best bond.

With you on the tape 45* joint though - done that to good effect myself many times.

IM000833.jpg

raypalmer said:
I've made a promise that every time I go to my (favourite) hardware store I will buy one clamp.

The best approach. :up:

badman said:
No, it's fine to retrofit them, but you can get the best glue and clamping done when they're present from the get-go.

Yes, they will align the boards when you apply them to one panel first and you don't have to worry about glue overspill interfering with the installation. I install them all first so when the cabinet gets assembled it's quick and easy. They also allow for all blind fastening (except for the back panel) if you are using an air nailer rather than clamps.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.