Plitron New Transformers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Peter.

And this is how they look when fully loaded with IRFP244 using R-Theta tools, each of 6 HEXFETS dissipating 25W and using Sil-pad K-10, with 20C ambient.

Not bad hay?

Trigon.

Attachments

• r-theta 65340 - ii.gif
    r-theta 65340 - ii.gif
    12.6 KB · Views: 635
This may be a dead issue on this thread now, but the "NBT" Pltron transformers, not to be confused with the "LONO" transfomers, utilize narrow band isolation technology to prevent AC line noise from propogating to the Secondary coils. I have spoken at length to the engineers at Plitron as I use thier Transformers extensively in my Balanced AC Power supplies. They are retiscent to divulge any of thier secrets, but the technology is different from thier "LONO" technology. The "LONO" transformers are designed not to introduce transformer noise into an Amplifier, electrical and mechanical.

As you can see there intended use is different, the "NBT" transfomers are truly meant as Power Transfomers and are only available in a few sizes. I seem to recal a 500VA, 1.2KVA, 2KVA, 2.4KVA and 3KVA.

Anyway I could prattle on, but if you want to here more from me on the subject, feel free to ask.

Anthony

Coulomb said:
This may be a dead issue on this thread now, but the "NBT" Pltron transformers, not to be confused with the "LONO" transfomers, utilize narrow band isolation technology to prevent AC line noise from propogating to the Secondary coils.

Sorry but what the "NBT" stands for, if you do not mind, are those standard power transformers or you are pointing to something different, thank you.
Trigon.

Re: Plitron

NBT = Narrow Band Technology, this term is coined by Plitron to describe thier new Power Transformers.

Are they worth the price, I am really tempted to try a 2KVA model for a super duper Balanced AC supply for my Home Theatre. The price is $572 wheew.. a few bucks to be sure. I think the features the technology brings is certainly worth utilising... the price...how much is too much??

If you want a really nice toroidal try the LONO transformers from Plitron, now they are nice. There are several good articles on there site worth reading if you have the time.

I recently ordered a Standard Toroidal from Plitron for my A75 that I am building, 750VA 2x30VAC I added Electro Static screening and Magnetic Shielding, came to $160. The LONO was $436 for a 1KVA. That was too much!

I just don't understand what's so different with the LONO. I can't remember seeing any actual specs on the site.

When you added the shielding, etc, did you have to have one custom made or is this just an order code? I'm going to order one within the next week or so.

I know the whole rage is monoblocks, but I like the idea of a big stiff transformer, so I'm designing 'daughter blocks' - one power supply and filter cap, separate boxes (Farady cage) and filter caps in each channel.

How it works (I think)

I think the Plitron NBT noise reduction transformers work by the use of an auxiliary winding. This winding is connected in parallel to one of the main windings (e.g. the primary) via a series capacitor. The auxiliary winding is wound opposite the main winding.

At low frequencies, i.e. the line frequency, the capacitor is a high impedance and only a small current flows through the auxiliary winding. At high frequencies, i.e. "noise", the capacitor is a low impedance and the auxiliary winding is connected in parallel with the main winding, thus cancelling much of the noise.

I think I recall reading this somewhere.

John

Re; Plitron

OK you yo's yo's must be blind. :)

I just checked the site and they have two articles full of information, charts diagrams, math and circuit drawings.

Just click on the big picture in the centre of the screen that says Power Toroidals and it takes you right to two lnks to PDF files which also appear right across the middle of the screen.

Anthony

Or mine :)

No problem, I just like to browse and not HAVE to call to get prices on this stuff. I don't know why, but all the sales and marketing dweebs have decided that they can't manage the sale unless they talk to you. I just what to SHOP :D

I also find a lot of web sites aren't updated which is a pet peeve.

sam9

As long as you like to "window shop", have you looked at www.Avellindberg.com"? Their offering isn't quite as extensive as Plitron but there is a lot of overlap.

Phyically they look as good a Plitron. I've not the means nor experience to compare the two electronically. Avel-Lindberg is a little less expensive. What might be more important in some situations is that for the equivalent VA rating A-L transformers are slightly more compact.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.