Plinius SA-250

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It is interesting what is the actual idle current of SA-250?
Yes. Not the question, if there are pure Class-A or Class AB.
Only the value of the quiescent current through the output power stage is meaningful.
Every user now can then evaluate each according to its individual loadspeaker load impedance.
I don't find this values in the good known test magazines over the world

High bias AB, Class A to 100W.

Only the lower power Plinius amps are true Class A, the earlier models have 130W Sanken 2SC power devices; SA-50, SA-100, SA-102. (6 and 10 devices/ch)
Later models switched to MT200 cased Sankens, 100W Class A peak for a 250/300W stereo amp with 16 devices per channel in balanced operation is already pushing the limits of passive cooling.

High bias AB, Class A to 100W.

Only the lower power Plinius amps are true Class A, the earlier models have 130W Sanken 2SC power devices; SA-50, SA-100, SA-102. (6 and 10 devices/ch)
Later models switched to MT200 cased Sankens, 100W Class A peak for a 250/300W stereo amp with 16 devices per channel in balanced operation is already pushing the limits of passive cooling.

Interesting to know. Do you know more about the basic circuit topology?

I don't check this site much anymore, but congrats on the SA250.

I've got an SA-102, I believe it does run in Class A when switched into this mode. Switching into and out of class A sets off a chain reaction of a bunch of bias relays that change bias over a few minutes. Despite the huge heatsinks the case/sinks do get very hot, around 50C in Class A, and cold in class AB. It is a large amp but still dwarfed by my DIY Class A ExtremA.

here you go

Attachments

• pliunius.png
    pliunius.png
    215 KB · Views: 247
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.