Please nudge a n00b in the right direction for cabinet/amp build.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Sreten is quite knowledgable, has a lot of experience....

No doubt, I appreciate any information I can get my hands on

I believe the best of both worlds is a small FR + helper woofers. I am a big fan of the smaller FRs, feeling that the 5-4.5" range is the sweet spot for a single driver speaker.

hmmm...

With the LM1875 you will have more than enuff power
It should be noted that these chip amps shine their best when the impedance they are driving is benign -- typical of a FR speaker.

sweet

Zia, A7.3 sims 10 Hz lower in 9 litre than A12.2p in 16 litre miniOnken,
A10.2 is an ideal compromise between bass and the DDR of the A7.3.

So what woofer(s) (x2?) to mate with above examples for ultimate combo?

The VW Corrado is a Golf GTI mk2 with knobs on. Bang for buck though
the original Golf GTI mk1 for some is still the best. First build : B for B.

Here is where we disagree. Corrado is actually a hodgepodge of MK3 and MK2 stuff arranged together by Porsche engineers. Really quite different.

Sorry I had to:
Auto Express magazine describe it as "Regarded as one of VW’s best-ever drivers’ cars".[1] The VR6 model was listed as one of the "25 Cars You Must Drive Before You Die" by the British magazine, Car and 'By far the most desirable version of the Corrado' by Auto Express.[1] In MSN Autos 'Cool Cars We Miss' feature they listed the Corrado among its top eight "Gone but not forgotten: a short list of cars once loved, still missed", describing it in the following manner: "The VW Corrado VR6 is coveted because of its seductive styling, road handling capabilities and its role as trailblazer, introducing the VR6 to the American market."[2]
All models featured an electrically adjustable rear spoiler, which can be raised or lowered by the driver.[1]
In 1988 in the first incarnation of the BBC TV show Top Gear, the racing car driver and presenter, Tiff Needell, reviewed the Corrado in G60 form, giving it a positive review and stating that "Handling-wise, the Corrado is classic front-wheel drive, and it's really very, very good indeed." In 2003, in series 3 of the relaunched Top Gear, presenter Richard Hammond identified the Corrado as a future classic, "a kind of classic waiting in the wings... I think it's really rather special... the result is fantastic."[3] He also stated that the Corrado "was too expensive, and nobody bought it".[/QUOTE]

OP posted in the FR forum, obviously has done some research, so i will assume that he has at least the basics on the compromises involved with choosng a single FR driver.

Indeed couple of weeks worth of reading before i even considered joining this site.

Hey guys I am eager to read about all options,

sreten thanks for all the info there is stuff there i have not read yet for sure.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
So what woofer(s) (x2?) to mate with above examples for ultimate combo?

There are huge swaths of them. There are large numbers of mid-basses aimed at 2-way cone + dome boxes, and once you restrict their need to reach a dome, one can concentrate on the ones that do decent bass within your enclosure limitations.

I have been using a lot of SDX7 & EL166 (both NLA) and starting to play with other candidates (Peerless 830870 & Silver Flute W14 so far)

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.