Please explain SACD to me...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
OliverD said:
Soon there'll be a DVD-Video player in almost every household in Europe, and I wonder why the industry once more completely screwed it up. :mad:
I think you hit the nail onthe head, figuratively speaking. :smash: It might sound cynical, but what value is there in a manufacturer coming out with a "me to" disc player in an almost saturated market? Fundamentally they are interested in making money so to try and make yet another "standard" :rolleyes: means that if it is adopted then everyone will have to eventually go and buy yet another generation of (probably licensed) players.

If instead DVD audio discs are available then most everyone already has a player so there is no compelling reason to go out and spend on something new. :mad:

Lucas_G said:
However, if you have got the chance to listen to a well manufactured, or well-tweaked SACD-player, or (even better) a Meittner or dcs DSD-DAC, you will hear something very special.

I second Lucas' opinion that Meitner's DSD gear is indeed quite special. Though not quite the equal, all things considered, to analogue, IMHO, Meitner's gear takes the digital edge off those shiny little disks, has excellent attack and transient performance, and renders the overall musical presentation a joy to listen to. And the people at EMM Labs are a joy to deal with.

Just my two Canadian cents.

Circlotron said:

Actually, am I 100% correct in expecting that a DVD audio disc will play in all it's 24 bit glory on a plain old no-name $50 DVD player, or is there more to it than that?

If it is a DVD compliant audio disc like 96kHz LPCM/24 bits it will probably play, although some DVD players might downsample/truncate internally.

For DVD-A, one needs a DVD player with DVD-A circuitry, although some DVD-A disc will have DVD-V audio tracks as well

Hmmm.... Is there any way I can make a linear PCM 24-bit CD (not DVD) (obviously not Red Book) and have it play on my DVD player?

More specifically, will such a disc work properly on a DVD player or must it be 16-bit Red Book or 24-bit DTS? You sort of anwered the question but I haven't been able to find any other information about this. Plenty of stuff regarding 24-bit Audio DVD (different from DVD audio) but only on a DVD, not a CD.

I am resurrecting this old thread because I have some concerns as well.

I recently acquired an Alesis Masterlink HD master recorder which outputs redbook as well as CD24 format discs.

The purpose of this purchase was to archive cassettes (I have a few bootlegs that I want to preserve) which will be redbook- done that; works great. Lots of useful features on the Alesis makes this simple and fun; although time consuming because it is of course real-time dubbing.

Anyway, moving forward, I had considered replacing my Vinyl with CD24 copies. Unfortunately, my (older) Alesis does not do DVD discs, so each album could potentially be two CDs each (at 24 bit/96Khz resolution).

Fine.

The root of my post here is the fact that I am concerned that I will have to use the Alesis (only) to play back my recordings in CD24 format. (The redbook discs play perfectly in everything).

So, looking for some insight, ideas, suggestions etc.

Thanks!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.