Please critique this design....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks again for all this input. I like the idea of the Apex drivers. Infact they were recommended by another friend.

In response to a couple questions asked earlier.

I can make the enclosures any size. I have an Excel program that was written by my brother to give me the exact dimensions of all pieces used given any internal volume. I have 2 blank enclosures sitting around right now that is 1.4 cu.ft and another at 2.5 cu ft. to experiment with.

I did ask for a "roast" and I appreciate all the feedback. In fact I wish people would be a little more critical. I am going to sell these enclosures and I need to know honest opinions. I myself do not look at design from a dualistic standpoint....other may and it's important to know what people want. If someone wants to stack mail on top of the enclosure so be it. Sthephen absolutely no harm done in your comment!

Has anyone had experience with either the Apex Sub drivers or the Acoustic Visions Rythmik 350 plate amp?

thx for the input!!!!!!!!!
chris

Christof,

I'm very surprised that in all the replies there has been very little mention of acoustic issues. Firstly, if you do choose to mount a lot of drivers in a small box, you can theoretically use a linkwitz transform to boost the low end response. But if you use 6 drivers in a box that size, the drivers may reach their thermal limits well before they reach their xmax excursion limits, assuming that you have enough amplifier power to do it. The bass boost to get low end extension to 20 Hz if desired could be extreme - and it may be that you would not get the F3 that you wanted.

All other things being equal, it's a good idea to look at drivers like the Peerless XLS which work well in a small box. An advantage of the Xls drivers is that they have matching passive radiators. You could have a single XLS (either 10" or 12") with a pair of passive radiators of the same size. Double up on this and it would look as if you have packed a stack of drivers into a small box, when you in effect have two drivers with passive radiators which allow very low tuning in a small box. This could be quite impressive.

As a general rule, it should be remembered that there are some tradeoffs here - this design will have a smaller than optimal internal volume for most drivers - this means lower efficiency, higher distortion, higher power handling assuming thermal limits aren't exceeded, less bass extension.

This is a very interesting project indeed. The design is very clever in that you can actually place it on a corner without falling over. However, if it does fall over, you have a problem if the surrounds are forward of the baffles, unless it is rigidly mounted to a base.

I'd use either 3 or 6 drivers in this box so that it can sit on the corner and have balance.

regards,
Paul

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.