• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Please comment my F2a SE schematic

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Klimon said:
Why don't you just look it up (google)?

Simon

Well, I did.. I'm just not sure what is the 'real' line level as there is contradictory info about it.

Hi Joku,

The soundcard in a laptop is normally not good enough for hifi. Still if you want to use it, why not build a simple buffer amp with a ECC40?

You can then build a twostage SE with your beutiful F2a to be used with sources having "normal" output levels. Go for something like 6C45, trioded E280F or some of the other good tubes recommended above. You can even get away with the nice 6DJ8/E88CC. But stay away from the, for some unknown reason hyped, 12AT7...... [/B]

I have thought about that, too. I'm just wondering what is the 'normal' line level and what devices use it. :) Is it the 2Vpp of CD players or the 0.9Vpp said in wikipedia or what.

But I'm wondering if it could be possible to build the amp so that you could turn the buffer amp on with a switch, and you could bypass it when you don't need it without making it a separate device..

revintage said:
Make the sensivity 0dBU. This way it will work with most sources.

Ok.. then I could easily drive it with a single ECC40 or E88CC, even without a cathode follower.. which brings one question to my mind: Would it be a bad idea to one half of a ECC40 (or E88CC) for one channel, and other half for the other channel?

revintage said:
Using the 12AT7 gives you a THD of ca 10% with lots of 3rd order harmonics that then is partly hidden in the distortion-cancellation that occurs in all two-stage amps. Still it is technically questionable and imperfecfect!

I don't have a dog in this hunt, but we don't listen to stages. If cancellation occurs such that the desired distortion profile of the amp is achieved, then how is it technically questionable?

Sheldon

Hello Joku,

Btw, wouln't it be a bad idea to use a pentode in a tetrode amplifier? I mean, pentodes have more distortion and all..

Why? You´re running your F2a in triode mode. So pentode drives triode. Take a look at this one.

Also Pete Millet is very fond of pentode drivers. You can find this amp on his page in which he uses a D3a in pentode mode to drive a KT88.

Kind regards,
Martin

Line level

The Wiki article is a little confusing and inaccurate. The description
of "sine wave amplitude" doesn't make sense. The nominal levels
given in rms apply to sine waves also, not only "general signals",
whatever those are! (I think they are giving peak voltage at the
crest of the sine wave in the article as "amplitude", RMS x 1.414)

Anyway, the nominal levels are just that; nominal. In a pro recording
studio, +4 dBu should move the VU meter to "0". The highest peak
level can range from +18 to +30 dBu. If the nominal level is +4 dBu
and the peak level is +18 dBu, the system is said to have 14 dB of
headroom, i.e. it will pass undistorted a sine wave signal of +18 dBu
amplitude or about 6.2 VRMS. Studio gear is available which will pass
over +30 dBu sine wave signals, ~ 25V RMS

For consumer gear the nominal level is -10dBv which is 0.316 VRMS
(sine wave or otherwise) The "2V" we keep hearing about is 2VRMS
max undistorted sine wave signal. This means that the nominal level
is .316 VRMS and the max level the circuit will pass is 2 VRMS, giving about
16 dB of dynamic headroom.

In a nutshell, depending on the way the program is mixed at the
studio, the average level output by a CD player, receiver, Phono
preamp, etc. should be about 0.316V RMS for the louder passages,
which allows the headroom needed up to 2V RMS equivalent, to pass
the drum hits and string attacks etc. without clipping. This is of
course at full volume setting or without any attenuation.

There is no need for your amplifier to have more gain than that needed
to pass the peak level from your source without clipping. With
tube amps maybe you can make use of more gain than that
due to the soft clipping, say another 3-6 dB (1.5-2x more gain)
than that minimum. Lars' suggestion of 0 dBU (.775V RMS input at
clipping) sounds pretty sensitive and could be easily done in one
gain stage.

Real output levels are all over the map, and there is currently
tremendous pressure from audio device (MP3...) manufacturers to
reduce the 2 VRMS to a lower level that can be provided by 3.3V
supplied circuits. This may be why your powerbook doesn't even
come up to the nominal level.

http://www.audiodesignline.com/howto/210500003

(TBTW, this article shows a lack of understanding of level structure)

I have all kinds of issues plugging single ended laptop outputs into
my gear, commercial, pro, or DIY, due to excessive hum and noise.
If I unplug the AC adapter, it all goes away. I would think about some
kind of isolated buffer with gain if I wanted to use my laptop as a
signal source. How about SPDIF to an external DAC? Maybe powerbooks
don't have this problem.

Cheers,

Michael

but we don't listen to stages. If cancellation occurs such that the desired distortion profile of the amp is achieved, then how is it technically questionable?

We listen to the result of individual stages. Cancellation reduces mainly less offensive 2nd order harmonics. By looking at THD it might look OK. What we should look for is odd order harmonics. But in a RH/partial feedback amp high odd order harmonics are left and this is not that funny. So the harmonic spectra of each stage IS very imporant.

revintage said:
We listen to the result of individual stages. Cancellation reduces mainly less offensive 2nd order harmonics. By looking at THD it might look OK. What we should look for is odd order harmonics. But in a RH/partial feedback amp high odd order harmonics are left and this is not that funny. So the harmonic spectra of each stage IS very imporant.

revintage said:
I am not sure about "mainly 2nd order", will dig deeper into that subject. Good cancellation seems to occur when when two identical stages are cascaded.
About RH/partial feedback amps with 12AT7 as triode driver it still is not that funny wr to odd harmonics.

Yes, if there is minimal distortion in individual stages, then the outcome should also have minimal distortion. I would agree, that's it's easier to engineer this way. But it's still the overall result that matters, and sometimes this can be surprising (good or bad). BTW, I would include the power supply in this outcome too.

I do disagree with the general dismissal of the AT7, at least in one case. I had a pair of pp amps with AT7 as the input tube. Distortion profile was excellent (IIRC, at least 60dB down on 2nd, 10 more on 3rd, a little 4th, and very little higher order). This at about half way to clipping, as my sound card only did 1V RMS.). Very nice sounding amp.

Sheldon

Hi Sheldon,
I can agree that in a very restricted workingpoint area it can work. Have tried it with a 6mA CCS and 15k input load in a Schade configuration and it is surprisingly OK.
But when we then exchange it for a 6C45 at (6-8mA/150V used in our SETOR) things start to rock;).

Attachments

• F2a-Neuman.jpg
    F2a-Neuman.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 601
Sorry for answering to this old thread, but I have been busy (ie. exchange studying) and I'm now returning to this project.

Anyways, that Neuman's schematic uses F2a as a pentode and I don't have access to the EF804 in quantity. So, that is the reason I would like to use the ECC40 as a driver. I decided to design the amp around a 2Vpp input, so I'll plan to use the first section of the ECC40 as a normal voltage gain amp (gain around 25) and the second section as a cathode follower to drive the F2a. This is my revised schematic:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Opinions? :)

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.